1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Washer Method

1. Apr 4, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

y=x^(3) +1, x=1, y=1; rotated about x=-1

2. Relevant equations

Washer Method. Pi * Integral from a to b of [Outer radius]^2-[inner radius]^2

3. The attempt at a solution

I understand the shell method version but I wanted to learn the washer way for this one.

Pi* Integral from 1 to 2 of (1+1)^(2)-[1+(y-1)^(1/3)]^(2) dy.
    I am sure this is the wrong way to set it up because I get like pi lol. The answer should be 9pi/10. Like I said I know how to do this through the shells but not the washer. I also do not know how one can see that the shells would be easier to use. Thanks for the help!!!
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2012 #2
    You set it up correctly. You must be doing the integration incorrectly.

4. Apr 4, 2012 #3

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Looks good.

By the way,
    [itex]\displaystyle \int_1^2 \left(4-(1+\sqrt[3]{y-1}\,)^2 \right) dy=\frac{9}{10}[/itex]​

5. Apr 4, 2012 #4
    Thank you both for helping out :). I got it thanks to you guys. Yay!! I was just integrating wrong. My mistake was that when I squared the 1/3 for some reason I just removed the root instead of making it 2/3 ha. Once again thank you both :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook