Washing Clothes: Mechanical vs Lazy Processes

• Thread starter tgt
  • Start date
In summary, there is not much difference between washing clothes in a washing machine and filling the tub with water, clothes, and powder and soaking them for an hour. The main difference is the convenience and time-saving aspect of using a washing machine. Hand-washing can be a labor-intensive process, especially for delicate items, but it can also save money compared to using a washing machine. However, hand-washing may not be as effective in removing dirt and stains as a washing machine with agitating functions. Ultimately, the choice between the two methods depends on personal preference and the specific needs of the clothes being washed.
tgt
What's the difference between washing clothes in a washing machine and

Filling the tub with water, clothes and powder. Soak it for an hour or so. Drain then repeat again.

Or other lazy, non mechanical process? If so what process?

Assuming clothes that aren't too dirty and with no special treatment like delicate material or colours or anything.

With the method I described, if I used hot water compared to only using cold water in a washing machine, would it turn out better then the washing machine?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
tgt said:

Filling the tub with water, clothes and powder. Soak it for an hour or so. Drain then repeat again.
Not much difference really, other than it being a lot easier to just throw the clothes in a washing machine than to spend time hand-washing. I find it hard work to get the soap out (you need to rinse the clothes quite a few times) but I only really handwash when I've got, say, one white shirt to wash, or something like that.

With the method I described, if I used hot water compared to only using cold water in a washing machine, would it turn out better then the washing machine?
Washing machines don't use cold water (unless you put the setting to "cold"). They have different settings and different temperatures for each setting.

We don't use the washing machine even though we have.

tgt said:

Assuming clothes that aren't too dirty and with no special treatment like delicate material or colours or anything.

You'll never get your clothes clean just getting them wet. You need a washboard and then you, "Plunge, and scrub! Plunge, and scrub! Plunge, and scrub!" Haven't you ever seen the movie "Far and Away"? They give directions.

cristo said:
Not much difference really, other than it being a lot easier to just throw the clothes in a washing machine than to spend time hand-washing. I find it hard work to get the soap out (you need to rinse the clothes quite a few times) but I only really handwash when I've got, say, one white shirt to wash, or something like that.

I wasn't even thinking of rubbing the clothes. Just let them float in soap water. But rinsing them would need some labour?

cristo said:
Washing machines don't use cold water (unless you put the setting to "cold"). They have different settings and different temperatures for each setting.
I know. I was just assuming it to make the comarison.

VashtiMaiden said:
We don't use the washing machine even though we have.

why not?

BobG said:
You'll never get your clothes clean just getting them wet. You need a washboard and then you, "Plunge, and scrub! Plunge, and scrub! Plunge, and scrub!" Haven't you ever seen the movie "Far and Away"? They give directions.

So soaking them in soap water don't work? Why not? What if it's only sweat and no dirt or anything like that?

tgt said:
why not?

The washing machine is not good at washing clothes! My hands does.

I wash some things by hand, but everyday stuff goes into the machine, which is much faster/easier.

tgt said:
So soaking them in soap water don't work? Why not? What if it's only sweat and no dirt or anything like that?

You're not doing anything to actually get the dirt out. The washing machine agitates to perform this function. You'd have to pretty vigorously stir your clothes to really do a good job, which is really a lot easier if you're just washing them one at a time. The washing machine let's you do them all at once instead of one item at a time.

tgt said:

Nothing except the washing machine will generally make a better job of it, unless your willing to stir the clothes around a bit occasionally, making the same sort of noises your washing machine makes.

However that said if you have delicates silks, satins and woollens of extreme delicacy it can short of dry cleaning be the only way to wash them.

My granny had a copper wash pot, and a giant stick to stir the wash with. It was labor intensive.

I do not have a washing machine so i either take my clothes to moms to wash or i put them in the bath and stomp them, i put my dripping wet shirts on clothes hangers to dry outside
so i do not need to iron them.
I find this is a good way to soften toe nails and makes them much easier to cut.

tgt said:

Nothing really. With the exception of scrubbing, that's exactly how clothes were washed before the creation of washing machines. I know quite a few people who wash their clothes in the bath tub because it saves a significant amount of money since apartments generally do not have washing machines. You can either pay $5 to wash your clothes, or you can stop being a lazy ******* and just do it in the tub.

Your washing machine can consume up to 25% of your electrical consumption for your house. Your TV by comparison is much less, less even than your Kettle or percolator. By comparison light bulbs barely register.

tgt said:

Moonbear said:
You're not doing anything to actually get the dirt out. The washing machine agitates to perform this function. You'd have to pretty vigorously stir your clothes to really do a good job, which is really a lot easier if you're just washing them one at a time. The washing machine let's you do them all at once instead of one item at a time.

The soap will do less for you than plunging and scrubbing. Soap does break down a lot of types of dirt and grease, making it easier to be washed out by the agitation of the water, but the agitation of the water through the clothes is much more important.

BobG said:
Soap does break down a lot of types of dirt and grease, making it easier to be washed out by the agitation of the water, but the agitation of the water through the clothes is much more important.

Which begs the question of why you had grease on your pants to begin with.

So if no scrubbing then washing machine is a must?

A washing machine is not a "must", it is a convenient, quick and effective way to clean clothes.

If you watch people in some third world countries washing clothes in the river, they beat the clothes with rocks.

As Bob said a washboard (a board with ridges) was used for a long time to scrub clothes on to get rid of dirt. You would then put the soapy clothes through a ringer to squeeze as much soapy water out as possible before you start to rinse, then run the rinsed clothes through the ringer again to get as much water out as possible so that they dry quicker.

Hot water is good for greasy stains, but can actually cause some stains to "set" and become permanent. Hot water also causes clothes to fade faster.

Some delicate "hand washables" call for only gentle squeezing in warm soapy water, and no wringing or pulling.

In other words, read the clothing labels that tell you how to launder each item.

Last edited:
ShawnD said:
Which begs the question of why you had grease on your pants to begin with.

Not really...being anything from a sloppy eater of fried food to a car mechanic is going to get grease on your clothes.

A separate but related and more specific question, how would you wash a sleeping bag? It says not to wash in a washing machine.

tgt said:
A separate but related and more specific question, how would you wash a sleeping bag? It says not to wash in a washing machine.

What do the washing instructions say to do?

I use a liner in my sleeping bag. It's like a sheet - easily washable, so I don't have to wash the bag so often.

Evo said:
A washing machine is not a "must", it is a convenient, quick and effective way to clean clothes.

I used to the say the same about a dishwasher, until I got one, minimum wage immigrant, couldn't do without the staff, one does value ones free time. :smile:

I don't think many people are going to spend their time washing by hand when they can either, pop down to the local launderette or use a washing machine. They may not be essential but they are indispensable once you've got one.

Next you'll be saying TV is not a must, and then I will really have to say steady on!

cristo said:
What do the washing instructions say to do?

It just says warm hand wash. So just a bit of rubbing?

BobG said:
If God meant for man to count higher than 1,048,575 he would have given him more fingers and toes.

Offtopic, but what does this quote mean exactly? Why that number specifically?

It's binary.

Moonbear said:
Not really...being anything from a sloppy eater of fried food to a car mechanic is going to get grease on your clothes.

Yeah, but Bob's is on the inside. Leftovers, perhaps?

Well to cut the drain time out of the whole pic, you would have to place each piece folded on top of one another then put into a box that press'es them, then shoots water and soup through them back and forth over and over again till all the dirt is gone, wouldn't need to spin, just flushes out all the dirt and germ's, until the water quality is fair, then it stop's. And then blows hot air into it, then steam's it, and they come out with no wrinkly's dirt, or germ's. It would look like a Big box. and in side would be a lot of small hole's that suck and blow jets of water and soup, and then hole's that only open when its time to dry and steam.

All you would have to do is fold them before puting them in.

Or we can just pick from hand washing, scrub board, or a washing mach, to do it.
there isn't much things that can replace the effectiveness of a washing mach.

Last edited:
Danger said:
Yeah, but Bob's is on the inside. Leftovers, perhaps?

Wouldn't that make it a leftunder?

Noone said:
Well to cut the drain time out of the whole pic, you would have to place each piece folded on top of one another then put into a box that press'es them, then shoots water and soup through them back and forth over and over again till all the dirt is gone, wouldn't need to spin, just flushes out all the dirt and germ's, until the water quality is fair, then it stop's. And then blows hot air into it, then steam's it, and they come out with no wrinkly's dirt, or germ's. It would look like a Big box. and in side would be a lot of small hole's that suck and blow jets of water and soup, and then hole's that only open when its time to dry and steam.

All you would have to do is fold them before puting them in.

Or we can just pick from hand washing, scrub board, or a washing mach, to do it.
there isn't much things that can replace the effectiveness of a washing mach.

I really think washing with soup would be counter-productive, but maybe it would hide the grease stains. :uhh: :rofl:

lisab said:
Wouldn't that make it a leftunder?
Drat! I got caught on a language issue. :redface:
Words is my life; now what's I going to do...? :cry:

BobG said:

I will just like to say that this made me laugh outloud.

And I agree, I wouldn't think that clothes get clean without a little friction between the fibers, you know, when it makes foam.

Rabbid clothes!

Moonbear said:
I really think washing with soup would be counter-productive, but maybe it would hide the grease stains. :uhh: :rofl:

>.< i hope you knew what i meant by the word soup x.X it's soap, yes it wouldn't take much to see that my spelling isn't like everyone els'es, i tend to type in a format of sounding things out, like instead of typen ew, i would type eu, instead of SEGA i would type Sayga, but now that i think of it soap wouldn't be needed, only for smell and disafectant
The pen is mighty'er than the sword. My sword is mighty'er than my pen. (sword would be my speaking abillity)(pen would be my spelling in typing and in letter's...) There are to meany word's that i can't really use on the internet due to the fact i would have to spell them...well difrent. The reason why is because i don't type or wright english very well...
I only speak english, and i do such beyond the grace of a poet :S

-=(Communication's)=-See a miss spelt word? if you know it's miss spelt why bother fixing it when you know what it mean's allready? :P Yes but it would be nice, to have a washing mac, that steam's and clean's your things without spinning them around -.- people buy things because there difrent and everyone els doesn't have one :) but i like things that are more effective and take less time to carry out there atended function's. Hence what a tool is made for. wow..talking about this has made me feel dirty...ty

Noone said:
>.< i hope you knew what i meant by the word soup x.X it's soap,

Of course, which is why it created such a funny image for me that I had to comment on it, thinking about squeezing soup through one's clothes.

<h2>What is the difference between mechanical and lazy processes for washing clothes?</h2><p>Mechanical processes involve the use of machines, such as washing machines and dryers, to clean and dry clothes. Lazy processes, on the other hand, refer to methods of washing clothes that require less effort and time, such as hand washing or air drying.</p><h2>Which process is more effective in cleaning clothes?</h2><p>In general, mechanical processes are more effective in cleaning clothes as they use agitation and high temperatures to remove dirt and stains. However, certain lazy processes, such as soaking clothes in a mixture of water and detergent, can also be effective in removing stains.</p><h2>Are there any benefits to using lazy processes for washing clothes?</h2><p>Yes, there are some benefits to using lazy processes for washing clothes. These methods often use less energy and water, making them more environmentally friendly. They can also be gentler on delicate fabrics and can save money on electricity and water bills.</p><h2>Is it better to use mechanical or lazy processes for certain types of clothing?</h2><p>It depends on the type of clothing and the level of dirt or stains. Mechanical processes are generally better for heavily soiled or larger items, such as towels or bedding. Lazy processes can be more suitable for delicate fabrics or lightly soiled clothing, such as t-shirts or underwear.</p><h2>Can I combine mechanical and lazy processes for washing clothes?</h2><p>Yes, you can combine these processes for washing clothes. For example, you can use a washing machine for the initial wash and then hang the clothes to air dry instead of using a dryer. This can save energy and reduce wear and tear on your clothes. However, it is important to follow the care instructions on clothing labels to ensure proper cleaning and maintenance.</p>

What is the difference between mechanical and lazy processes for washing clothes?

Mechanical processes involve the use of machines, such as washing machines and dryers, to clean and dry clothes. Lazy processes, on the other hand, refer to methods of washing clothes that require less effort and time, such as hand washing or air drying.

Which process is more effective in cleaning clothes?

In general, mechanical processes are more effective in cleaning clothes as they use agitation and high temperatures to remove dirt and stains. However, certain lazy processes, such as soaking clothes in a mixture of water and detergent, can also be effective in removing stains.

Are there any benefits to using lazy processes for washing clothes?

Yes, there are some benefits to using lazy processes for washing clothes. These methods often use less energy and water, making them more environmentally friendly. They can also be gentler on delicate fabrics and can save money on electricity and water bills.

Is it better to use mechanical or lazy processes for certain types of clothing?

It depends on the type of clothing and the level of dirt or stains. Mechanical processes are generally better for heavily soiled or larger items, such as towels or bedding. Lazy processes can be more suitable for delicate fabrics or lightly soiled clothing, such as t-shirts or underwear.

Can I combine mechanical and lazy processes for washing clothes?

Yes, you can combine these processes for washing clothes. For example, you can use a washing machine for the initial wash and then hang the clothes to air dry instead of using a dryer. This can save energy and reduce wear and tear on your clothes. However, it is important to follow the care instructions on clothing labels to ensure proper cleaning and maintenance.