Washing USA Apples & Grapes - How Much Does it Help?

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Usa
In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of washing apples and grapes before eating them. The speaker is aware that it is recommended to wash them, but wonders how effective it really is. They mention using special soap designed for rinsing fruit, but are hesitant to use it. They also question the frosty-looking coating on red grapes and whether simple rinsing can remove it, as it may contain pesticides. Another person joins in and shares their thoughts on the coating, suggesting it may be caused by yeast. They also mention similar coatings on blueberries and apples. Overall, the conversation highlights concerns about the potential presence of pesticides and preservatives on fruit and the importance of washing them.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
I've been negligent in washing my (USA) apples & grapes before eating them. I know you're s'posed to, but somehow I wonder just how much washing them removes anyway.

I know there's soaps that you can get that are designed for rinsing fruit, but I don't want to go that far if I don't have to.

What is the frosty-looking coating on red grapes? Simple rinsing doesn't take it off, it seems somewhat waxy. If there's pesticides in that, no simple washing will get rid of it.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's even on wild grapes, so I've always thought it was a slight oxidating of the skin, something produced by the grape skin, or 'dead skin cells'.

I just wash off the layer of dust that sometimes can blanket a fruit. Other than that I don't know what the hype is all about.

rewebster said:
It's even on wild grapes.
True, true.

waht said:
I just wash off the layer of dust that sometimes can blanket a fruit. Other than that I don't know what the hype is all about.
Well, the hype is about pesticides and preservatives that are sprayed on fruit so they don't go bad in transport or on the shelf.

rewebster said:
It's even on wild grapes, so I've always thought it was a slight oxidating of the skin, something produced by the grape skin, or 'dead skin cells'.

Hmm I have been reading that the 'dust' on grapes is mostly yeast

ahhhh---a yeast feast

Blueberries have a very similar "coating".

I bought some apples recently that had a very waxy coating on them, wouldn't wash off.

What are the benefits of washing USA apples and grapes?

Washing USA apples and grapes can help remove any dirt, bacteria, and pesticides that may be present on the surface of the fruits. It can also improve their appearance and make them more appealing to eat.

Does washing USA apples and grapes affect their nutritional value?

Washing USA apples and grapes does not significantly affect their nutritional value. The majority of the nutrients are found in the flesh of the fruit, not the skin. However, washing can help remove any potential contaminants that may affect the fruit's safety.

How does washing affect the taste of USA apples and grapes?

Washing USA apples and grapes may slightly affect their taste by removing any dirt or residue that may have a negative impact on the flavor. However, the overall taste of the fruit will not be significantly altered by washing.

Is it necessary to wash USA apples and grapes if they are labeled as "organic"?

Yes, it is still important to wash USA apples and grapes even if they are labeled as organic. While organic fruits are grown without the use of synthetic pesticides, there is still a possibility of contamination during harvesting and transportation.

Can washing USA apples and grapes eliminate all potential contaminants?

Washing USA apples and grapes can help remove a significant amount of dirt, bacteria, and pesticides. However, it may not eliminate all potential contaminants, especially if the fruit has been contaminated internally. It is important to handle and store fruits properly to minimize the risk of contamination.