Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Washing Fruit

1. May 29, 2008 #1

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I've been negligent in washing my (USA) apples & grapes before eating them. I know you're s'posed to, but somehow I wonder just how much washing them removes anyway.

I know there's soaps that you can get that are designed for rinsing fruit, but I don't want to go that far if I don't have to.

What is the frosty-looking coating on red grapes? Simple rinsing doesn't take it off, it seems somewhat waxy. If there's pesticides in that, no simple washing will get rid of it.

2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2008 #2
    It's even on wild grapes, so I've always thought it was a slight oxidating of the skin, something produced by the grape skin, or 'dead skin cells'.

4. May 29, 2008 #3
    I just wash off the layer of dust that sometimes can blanket a fruit. Other than that I don't know what the hype is all about.

5. May 29, 2008 #4

DaveC426913

Gold Member

True, true.

6. May 29, 2008 #5

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Well, the hype is about pesticides and preservatives that are sprayed on fruit so they don't go bad in transport or on the shelf.

7. May 29, 2008 #6
    Hmm I have been reading that the 'dust' on grapes is mostly yeast

8. May 29, 2008 #7
    ahhhh---a yeast feast

9. May 30, 2008 #8
    Blueberries have a very similar "coating".

10. May 30, 2008 #9
    I bought some apples recently that had a very waxy coating on them, wouldn't wash off.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?