Washing Pebbles: A Slow but Rewarding Task

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary: Well i have only used a cup full of bleach to a bucket full of water and a squeeze of washing liquid, heck i use more than that to clean the loo every day.In summary, you are washing rocks to clean them, which is a slow and tedious job. You think it's best to arrange them in rows, but you're not sure if you can be creative with them.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
I have been stuck for some thing to do so i opted to wash the pebbles that cover my drive,
it is a slow job, i can only do a bucket full at one time, but it is a rewarding task each pebble looks different and has its own characteristics, when washed it seems a shame to re lay them or even walk on them, i was thinking would it be best to arrange them in rows or just scatter them in a random fashion?

Physics news on Phys.org
WOW! You're REALLY bored! :bugeye:

Do you do your gardening with tweezers?

Moonbear said:
WOW! You're REALLY bored! :bugeye:

Well no, it is a job that needed doing, and when one thinks that each pebble took millions of years to form they should be treated with some respect, i have been ruthless and put the chipped ones aside, may be i will have a special wounded pebble area.

wolram said:
Well no, it is a job that needed doing, and when one thinks that each pebble took millions of years to form they should be treated with some respect, i have been ruthless and put the chipped ones aside, may be i will have a special wounded pebble area.
ooh, I have really cool pebbles in a hedge bed in front of my place. I was looking for some to place in potted plants to cover the holes in the bottom and became fascinated by how beautiful some were. The ones that where cracked open were the best, some had charcoal gray outside, but creamy white with colored striations inside. I showed them to the Evo Child and she gave me a look like I was crazy. :frown:

Wolram, when we get old, we can compare pebbles and fossils.

the other day I was shampooing my shag carpet one strand at a time...

Chi Meson said:
Do you do your gardening with tweezers?

That made me laugh!

I did something similar once. I sat at my table once and separated the colored rocks I had because they got all mixed up. They are very small rocks. Took only like 45 minutes though.

wolram said:
I have been stuck for some thing to do so i opted to wash the pebbles that cover my drive,
it is a slow job, i can only do a bucket full at one time, but it is a rewarding task each pebble looks different and has its own characteristics, when washed it seems a shame to re lay them or even walk on them, i was thinking would it be best to arrange them in rows or just scatter them in a random fashion?

You should arrange them in rows since, apparently, you have some time on your hands. Just don't get carried away, like these guys...

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/467/monksrt2.jpg

If you don't like how it comes out, go crazy with a rake!

Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:
Wolram, when we get old, we can compare pebbles and fossils.

I have some that sparkle in the light may be i should do as Lisab suggests and make some pattern with my pebbles, trouble is i am not much of an artist.

wolram said:

Wait, aren't you in England? Does it not rain every two days? Why would you want to wash pebbles when the rain will do it for you?

PS. You really must be bored.

It's a little known fact, but hypatia collects rocks and imprisons them in her closet, sort of like how Ursula collected people's souls in polyps in the The Little Mermaid.

Except hypatia promises that someday she'll free her imprisoned rocks on unsuspecting pedestrians.

I've always tried my best to never offend hypatia.

Focus said:
Wait, aren't you in England? Does it not rain every two days? Why would you want to wash pebbles when the rain will do it for you?

PS. You really must be bored.

It is raining now :frown: but rain does not clean the deep grime from the pebbles, i am using a mix of bleach and washing up liquid and a nailbrush.

wolram said:
It is raining now :frown: but rain does not clean the deep grime from the pebbles, i am using a mix of bleach and washing up liquid and a nailbrush.

You're damaging the environment to clean rocks... oh god. Sorry, but that's just dumb.

I thought you were scrubbing them and cleaning them with water.

JasonRox said:
You're damaging the environment to clean rocks... oh god. Sorry, but that's just dumb.

I thought you were scrubbing them and cleaning them with water.

Well i have only used a cup full of bleach to a bucket full of water and a squeeze of washing liquid, heck i use more than that to clean the loo every week.

wolram said:
I have some that sparkle in the light may be i should do as Lisab suggests and make some pattern with my pebbles, trouble is i am not much of an artist.
Some of my rocks sparkle, too, Woolie.

gems.jpg

I have sold dozens to high-end jewelry stores and have given away many more. The top row contains a synthetic color-change material in a trillion cut (since it's synthetic I was never tempted to sell it or give it away, and could keep it as a demo for the stores), a large topaz, a CZ in a cosmos cut (also a synthetic to use for a store demo) and rutilated quartz. The quartz is clear, but I oriented the rutile fibers so that the reflections would produce that color. Second row is African spinel, Tanzanite, toumaline and rhodolite garnet. The third row is all sapphires - the first one (oval) has a subtle but nice color-change when going from artificial to natural light. These are left-overs, really. The jewelry stores snapped up all the native Maine stones as soon as I displayed them, and a lot of the rare African materials too, and Yogo Gulch Sapphires. All my female cousins, and the wives of my male cousins, and their daughters, and my aunts, sisters, and nieces each have at least one of my stones. Between digging and/or buying faceting rough, buying faceting supplies, and gold findings and tools, I really haven't made any money at this hobby. Made some ladies happy, though.

Wow, awesome Turbo, some of those cuts are amazing.

wolram said:
Wow, awesome Turbo, some of those cuts are amazing.
I'm pretty sure he was joking.

wolram said:
Well i have only used a cup full of bleach to a bucket full of water and a squeeze of washing liquid, heck i use more than that to clean the loo every week.

:bugeye:Someone who cleans the loo every week. Wow! I wonder what a loo would look like when cleaned everyweek.

You could try selling the pebbles on e-bay :biggrin:

Focus said:
:bugeye:Someone who cleans the loo every week. Wow! I wonder what a loo would look like when cleaned everyweek.

You could try selling the pebbles on e-bay :biggrin:

Ewww!:yuck: I'm never washing my cat in your toilet.

Defennder said:
I'm pretty sure he was joking.
Nope. I have faceted many, many stones, and have probably 6-8 hours of cutting and polishing in even the smaller ones. My faceting machine was made by Imperial Gem Instruments, and it's a really precise machine. Next-to-last faceting machine here:

http://www.gemcutter.com/download/machines.pdf

BobG said:
Ewww!:yuck: I'm never washing my cat in your toilet.

You are more than welcome to clean my toilet then wash your cat in it...

Focus said:

Mine looks green and sparkly with a polished wood seat.

What the crap is a loo?! :rofl:

Saladsamurai said:
Something to use in loo of a toilet.

Saladsamurai said:

out of whack said:
Something to use in loo of a toilet.

Ewww! :yuck: I'm not going to wash my cat in your bidet, either.

BobG said:
Ewww! :yuck: I'm not going to wash my cat in your bidet, either.
That's not how you wash a cat! You tie it up on a short leash and use a garden hose. Sheesh! Some people just don't know how to care for pets.

I just lure mine into the dishwasher with a can of tuna.

tribdog said:
I just lure mine into the dishwasher with a can of tuna.

I recommend a washing machine. Dish washer doesn't get under the fur too much. Plus you can wash your kitty on 70 degrees (centigrade for those who think in fahrenheit).

Saladsamurai said:

It is a willy whacker if you have the wrong seat fitted.

How To Wash A Cat

1. Thoroughly clean the toilet.

2. Add the required amount of shampoo to the toilet water, and have both lids lifted.

3. Obtain the cat and soothe him while you carry him towards the bathroom.

4. In one smooth movement, put the cat in the toilet and close both lids (you may need to stand on the lid so that he cannot escape). CAUTION: Do not get any part of your body too close to the edge, as his paws will be reaching out for any purchase they can find.

5. Flush the toilet three or four times. This provides a "power wash and rinse" which I have found to be quite effective.

6. Have someone open the door to the outside and ensure that there are no people between the toilet and the outside door.

7. Stand behind the toilet as far as you can, and quickly lift both lids.

8. The now-clean cat will rocket out of the toilet, and run outside where he will dry himself.

NeoDevin said:
How To Wash A Cat

1. Thoroughly clean the toilet.

2. Add the required amount of shampoo to the toilet water, and have both lids lifted.

3. Obtain the cat and soothe him while you carry him towards the bathroom.

4. In one smooth movement, put the cat in the toilet and close both lids (you may need to stand on the lid so that he cannot escape). CAUTION: Do not get any part of your body too close to the edge, as his paws will be reaching out for any purchase they can find.

5. Flush the toilet three or four times. This provides a "power wash and rinse" which I have found to be quite effective.

6. Have someone open the door to the outside and ensure that there are no people between the toilet and the outside door.

7. Stand behind the toilet as far as you can, and quickly lift both lids.

8. The now-clean cat will rocket out of the toilet, and run outside where he will dry himself.
Why do you clean the toilet first? Surely the shampoo and the scrub-brush (the cat) will accomplish that in 3-4 flushes. Think outside the box - work smarter, not harder.

turbo-1 said:
Why do you clean the toilet first? Surely the shampoo and the scrub-brush (the cat) will accomplish that in 3-4 flushes. Think outside the box - work smarter, not harder.

You would then need a way to add shampoo between flushes. I suppose you could squirt more under the edge of the seat, but that just gives the cat one more opportunity to tear your eyes out.

Wolly, you should get a rock tumbler to polish your pebbles.

Math Is Hard said:
Wolly, you should get a rock tumbler to polish your pebbles.
They'll be pretty but so smooth, he'll fall down, especially when they get wet.

Have you ever tried to walk through pebbles in high heels? I don't recommend it. :redface:

Evo said:
Have you ever tried to walk through pebbles in high heels? I don't recommend it. :redface:

I'm not sure Woolie has the legs for high heels. :uhh: