Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wasting Time

1. Nov 16, 2003 #1

Is it possible to predict the future state of a system without using time as a factor?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2003 #2

Staff: Mentor

I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but let me try an analogy and see if you think it fits: consider an equation such as y=2x. Is it possible to calculate "y" without knowing "x"? No.
  4. Nov 21, 2003 #3
    If the time phys relation exist

If the time phys relations is exist. the progress is determind. as this serious , the time can determind in another.
  5. Nov 22, 2003 #4
    no i wouldnt' imagine it would. because your using time as a measuring stick (the future) so any predictions on the future would be based on the extent of time that passes. unless it pretains to the status if nonexistant things (like the lotto numbers)
  6. Nov 22, 2003 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How do you define the "future" without refering to time?
  7. Nov 22, 2003 #6

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The simple answer would be: it depends on whether the system is time-dependent, if it is as most systems are then no.

Interestingly, I am lead to believe that time 'disappears' from the Wheeler-Dewitt equation.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?