Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Watch out aliens

1. Apr 16, 2004 #1

wolram

Gold Member

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2004 #2
    My Physician used to be a woman of "faith". We were talking about why I didn't want my child to have to sing religious songs at school, that there are many theories about the origins of life, that don't include the standards of western faith. I told her that I felt it was entirely possible, that some travellers against all regulations to the contrary, just dumped their porta potty near some warm inland sea, and all of life came from that event. It is more likely that they washed out hot cooking pans, and the bacteria that survived that heat, became the antique bacteria precursor to all life on earth, or the travellers soaked in a hot spring, and left. In the German photos from Mars, there are great green strike marks, and material seems to be ejected from the strike sites across the face of the planet. That stuff is all shown as green. They say that is olivine, but we are struck by ice from space constantly. We could have easily contaminated Mars just now, because we believe that none of our living matter could survive the trip, life is persistent. There is methane present in the Martian atmosphere, maybe it is just waiting for us to give it a little life.

4. Apr 16, 2004 #3

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

As a vision, of course it's possible (as well as amusing), but it raises the question, where did those picnickers come from. What jump-started their biology? Seem to me there are two alternatives:

- Some bacterium was first.
    - Closed timelike curves, as in Heinlein's story "All You Zombies".

What do you think?

5. Apr 16, 2004 #4

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

some bacterium (somewhere) being first for this galaxy
    or for this arm of the galaxy
    has a different feel from
    some bacterium being first for the earth, though

6. Apr 16, 2004 #5

Nereid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

References please!

7. Apr 17, 2004 #6

wolram

Gold Member

this maybe a pointless statment, but as earth is the only KNOWN
    life bearing planet, isnt it possible that it could be the mother to
    all life.

8. May 3, 2004 #7

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

sure...now is that exciting or depressing?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?