Watch out for Free Science

Main Question or Discussion Point

When I was studying Physics we had a contest where we had to build a Cart that would travel the Furthest Distance. I Figured a Dry Ice Puck would do the trick as everyone was putting wheels on their design. So I asked my Instructor if I could use a Dry Ice Puck, He told the Class about the Dry Ice Puck...teaching me about what is known as Free Science. If Your Idea isn't Published anyone can just put their name on it...he taught me a valuable lesson. Free Science is Theft in my eyes but Science is a Business and it is what it is. Publish before you share. It is called Free Science and like I said it is Intillectual Theft. Legally it is ok but Morally it is Wrong to steal someone else's findings. He was a Great teacher...

Answers and Replies

You write Free Science with capital letters. Is that the name of some organization that you believe steals intellectual property?

Btw, not all scientific ideas qualify as intellectual property, and if you haven’t published then there is no way to cite you so it isn’t even plagiarism.

Nugatory
Mentor
I asked my Instructor if I could use a Dry Ice Puck, He told the Class about the Dry Ice Puck...teaching me about what is known as Free Science. If Your Idea isn't Published anyone can just put their name on it..
And when it came time to grade the projects.... do you seriously imagine that he didn't know who had come up with the idea on their own and who learned about it in class?

fresh_42
Mentor
Insights Author
2018 Award
You can hardly copyright numbers, or even commonly known algorithms. And RSA has (or had, I don't know if it's still protected) a copyright!

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
You write Free Science with capital letters
He wrote pretty much everything with capital letters. I don't think this is significant.

He wrote pretty much everything with capital letters. I don't think this is significant.
Yes, it is odd and confusing to me. I assume that Dry Ice Puck is a small disk of frozen CO2 rather than a brand name of hockey equipment, but I have never heard of “free science” in another context so capitalizing it feels particularly strange.

I think that German capitalizes all nouns, but if he/she is a native German speaker then why are “theft”, “great”, and “morally” capitalized?

fresh_42
Mentor
Insights Author
2018 Award
I think that German capitalizes all nouns, but if he/she is a native German speaker then why are “theft”, “great”, and “morally” capitalized?
Theft is a noun. However, Intillectual and Morally are not.

And the noun rule is easier than to decide when American, English etc. are written with caps or not.

You can hardly copyright numbers, or even commonly known algorithms. And RSA has (or had, I don't know if it's still protected) a copyright!
You can copyright some numbers in some contexts; every digital copyrighted work is expressible as a number. While algorithms as abstractions cannot be copyrighted, they can in many cases be patented, and their implementations or descriptions can be copyrighted.

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
but if he/she is a native German speaker then why are “theft”, “great”, and “morally” capitalized?
Or Dry? Or Furthest?

Like you, I am still strugglinmg to figure out what the OP is saying.

You can copyright some numbers in some contexts; every digital copyrighted work is expressible as a number.
I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean a digitized song can be expressed as a series of concatenated numbers, and the result copyrighted as a number? In that case a 15 bit rendition would not violate the 16 bit resolution copyright.

Since the question is so confusing we will close it for now.