Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Watch your file sharing

1. Jun 26, 2003 #1
    Apparently the RIAA has won some lawsuits and now this is going to happen http://www.riaa.com/news/newsletter/062503.asp . They use bots to scan these networks so I'd say you might as well assume they have information on you if you get on a file sharing network that they are monitoring.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 26, 2003 #2
  4. Jun 27, 2003 #3

jb

i can't imagine they'll go after every user... unless they have the time to take 5 million broke kids to court, and they most likely won't get any money, unless they're planning on taking college savings from them and putting them on the street. let's say i "theoretically" have 3000+ mp3's, that means i could get sued for 500 million bucks. there's no way in hell they're getting that much from me. i don't think my entire family will have made that much in their lifetimes. so imo, $150,000 per song is a load of crap. if they want me to pay damages, i got 5 bucks, and that's all they should expect to get. they just can't get $2,500,000,000,000,000 from a bunch of kids, who are probably helping the industry more than they're hurting it. and let us not forget, we download because of the music, man.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?