Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Watched Avatar yet?

1. Dec 20, 2009 #1
    Have you? It's AMAZING!

Btw, Cameron was a physics graduate according to imdb! He was a truck driver until he entered the movie industry.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 20, 2009 #2

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes! That was a great movie. I was really impressed with the 3D aspect. They managed to resist overdoing it and used it to enhance the feeling of being in a fantasy world instead of making it the centerpiece of the movie.

4. Dec 20, 2009 #3
    I heard it was an awesome movie, might go watch it with a friend :biggrin:

5. Dec 20, 2009 #4
    I'm big on movie making, so I was delighted to see the proper balance between story and effects. Well, floating mountains were a little hard to digest, but overall it was a treat. I'll bet Francis Lawrence took note of the convincing renders in the cgi humanoid characters (i.e., compared with "I Am Legend").

6. Dec 20, 2009 #5

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've just seen it and it was great! Especially the first half was very refreshing. The war part became a bit boring, but that was mainly because I was too bummed out at that point.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  7. Dec 20, 2009 #6
    WOW... All I can say is WOW......an instant top movie of the decade, perhaps of all time.

This is the type of fantasy world we all dream about. Oh man, I wish I was on that planet.

8. Dec 20, 2009 #7

turbo

Gold Member

I'll have to wait until it comes out on DVD. Can't wait

9. Dec 20, 2009 #8
    Sorry, but was that just spoiler content? Is that going to wreck some of the plot for me?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2009
  10. Dec 20, 2009 #9
    Let's be honest! The plot has been done before and the writing was so-so. BUT, the 3d experience was top notch. I think it definitely sets the bar for the next crop of movies.

11. Dec 20, 2009 #10
    even the trailers show that much :)

12. Dec 20, 2009 #11

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Oh man. you could not have said anything more damaging if you tried.

"The SFX was great!" is the death knell for movies.

13. Dec 20, 2009 #12
    For most movies, yes, but this really is different. It's a super fun movie and I'm seeing it again on the imax over xmas. The plot and writing wasn't bad. It was good enough with great visuals to make it a very good film, but I wasn't blown away mostly because there aren't any twists.

14. Dec 20, 2009 #13
    Okay then. I haven't seen the trailers. I don't watch much teevee. :smile: And, it seems that, these days, so many movies (especially comedies) are so thin that all of the best parts in the trailers anyway.

15. Dec 21, 2009 #14

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

It was a good movie!, I enjoyed it, and I will see it again after the 24th too =)

16. Dec 21, 2009 #15

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

One noticeable glitch in the biology of the Na'vi. The tails are just kind of stuck on like a cartoon character. No real tail would project out at a right angle like that since tails are an extension of the spinal cord.

The humanoid clones have 5 fingers while the native Na'vis only have 4. That has to mean something - it's not the sort of thing that would be an oversight. One of the imperfections that keep the clones from being accepted by the Na'vi? (That and the difficulty Jakesully has in making sure the gender of his adjectives matches the gender of his verbs when speaking Na'vi.)

How do the Na'vi reproduce? Where do they hide the pregnant females?

17. Dec 21, 2009 #16
    It was a very entertaining masterpiece. A fantastic use of 3D, the CGI was top notch. Movies like this take sci-fi and entertainment to the next level.

Not sure if it tops Lord of the Rings in my best movie of all time list, but it's very close and that's such a personal debate.

18. Dec 21, 2009 #17
    did you see the mating scene?

19. Dec 21, 2009 #18

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If there was kissing, then I probably covered my eyes. Still, the fact that they have belly buttons tells you there must be pregnant females.

20. Dec 21, 2009 #19
    You could dig much deeper and the whole story would fall apart. There's a margin every movie has to be within to stay believable. Which is why I mentioned the floating mountains, which is ridiculous. Otherwise, the whole movie is acceptable enough as long as we overlook that level of detail you describe. Some movies ask us to overlook too much. Avatar, I say, is about as much within that margin as any movie can be, especially at this ambitious scale.

21. Dec 21, 2009 #20

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Uh, you misspelled a word Dave. :blushing:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook