Watching a show about Mt. Vesuvius

• Thread starter tribdog
  • Start date
In summary, tribdog experienced strange dreams after falling asleep watching TV with the smell of natural gas in the air. The gas company should be checked for leaks, and the trap on the sink should also be checked.
tribdog
I'm watching a show about Mt. Vesuvius. How terrifying is it see those bodies preserved where they fell. You can see their teeth even. And the looks on their faces. Parents shielding their children. its so scary.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes the pressure building up as Mother Earth slowly churnes, the hot, firey liquid rising and pressing harder and harder against the crust pushing against its own great weight until it can't stand it any longer and the mountain top's rocks fly off and it releases in a terrible fury of gushing molten lava. Then it smokes.

Artman said:
Yes the pressure building up as Mother Earth slowly churnes, the hot, firey liquid rising and pressing harder and harder against the crust pushing against its own great weight until it can't stand it any longer and the mountain top's rocks fly off and it releases in a terrible fury of gushing molten lava. Then it smokes.

:bugeye: :bugeye:

It's bloody fascinating, if you ever get the chance to go to the Naples area it's well worth a walk up the crater, and well worth a visit to Pompeii too. You can still see the menu on a wall in the brothel.

Artman said:
worked better with the original title, but I really didn't expect that to last even until I got my first response posted.

I fell asleep watching that show and while I was asleep some show about hitler came on. I started dreaming about concentration camps and had a pretty intense nightmare that woke me up.I dreamt I was at the concentration camp recreation park and there was a photo op spot where you could stand and get all the camps in one photo. Then there was a walk through tour and I went into a cave where the lights got turned out and monsters attacked me and made me take a geode that was full of magic crystals, but I didn't want the geode so they threw me into the ocean. Its sort of fading right now, but it was scary at the time

Last edited:
Wow I'm being lazy today. I went back to sleep. Celebrity poker came on and I dreamed I got a tattoo of a 7 of clubs on my forehead.

tribdog said:
I fell asleep ...(snip)... sort of fading right now, but it was scary at the time

(snip)... a tattoo of a 7 of clubs on my forehead.

Trib, do yourself a favor and have the gas company "sniff" the lines inside your house for leaks; you should also check the traps on all the sinks, tubs, lavs, and other plumbing drains to be certain the sewer line isn't gassing you.

Bystander said:
Trib, do yourself a favor and have the gas company "sniff" the lines inside your house for leaks; you should also check the traps on all the sinks, tubs, lavs, and other plumbing drains to be certain the sewer line isn't gassing you.
He just needs to stay on his Lithium.

Actually, I'm serious --- course, that doesn't mean he was --- long term exposure to NG odorants at concentrations below the olfactory threshold can result in very low level poisoning, resulting in "weird" dreams

Bystander said:
Actually, I'm serious --- course, that doesn't mean he was --- long term exposure to NG odorants at concentrations below the olfactory threshold can result in very low level poisoning, resulting in "weird" dreams

Wow! Could this have been going on for say, several years, explaining tribdog's behavior altogether?

most of my odors are well above the olfactory limit

Bystander said:
So can falling asleep with the TV on. :biggrin: He might do better to just turn off the TV before he goes to sleep.

tribdog said:
most of my odors are well above the olfactory limit
Please don't interrupt when we're talking about you.

1) What is Mt. Vesuvius?

Mt. Vesuvius is a volcano located in southern Italy, near the city of Naples. It is considered one of the most dangerous volcanoes in the world due to its explosive history and proximity to densely populated areas.

2) When did Mt. Vesuvius last erupt?

The last eruption of Mt. Vesuvius occurred in 1944, but the most famous and devastating eruption was in 79 AD, which destroyed the nearby cities of Pompeii and Herculaneum.

3) How did the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius impact the surrounding areas?

The eruption of Mt. Vesuvius in 79 AD caused widespread destruction and death in the surrounding areas. The cities of Pompeii and Herculaneum were buried under layers of ash and pumice, and thousands of people were killed. The eruption also caused tsunamis and earthquakes, further adding to the devastation.

4) Is Mt. Vesuvius still active?

Yes, Mt. Vesuvius is still an active volcano and is closely monitored by scientists for any signs of potential eruptions. While it has not had a major eruption since 1944, it is considered to be in a state of unrest and has had smaller eruptions and seismic activity in recent years.

5) Why is it important to study Mt. Vesuvius?

Studying Mt. Vesuvius is important for understanding the behavior of volcanoes and the potential risks they pose to human populations. It also provides valuable insights into the cultural and historical significance of the 79 AD eruption, which has been preserved through the well-preserved ruins of Pompeii and Herculaneum.