Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Watching meteors tonight

1. Dec 13, 2004 #1

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

I've seen two bright ones in almost no time spent watching
    Pleides at zenith
    a couple of brief ventures outside between 9:30 and 9:50 PM

GMT-7, I think.
    they were both overhead going one NW and one SW.

[edit: no I am in GMT-8. Labguy reminded me. I keep forgetting because of daylightsavingtime changes, I guess]
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2004 #2
    It's cloudy here as usual. I've missed the Jupiter occultation and now this.

oh well at least I should get to see comet Machholz at some point.
  4. Dec 14, 2004 #3

Science Advisor

I was outside (testing new binoculars) for only about 15 minutes and saw three nice ones, one very large travelling from NW to SW. GMT -7 hours. Marcus probably lives next door to me and we don't even know it... :bugeye:
  5. Dec 14, 2004 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I only managed about 10 minutes outside (1:30 AM) & saw 1 great one (brighter than Sirius), a couple good ones, and about a half-dozen faint ones. Wish I had planned ahead more to spend more time outside...it was a great meteor shower. Although there were several clouds in my area, the seeing was excellent and the moonless night really helped.
  6. Dec 14, 2004 #5

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

you know very well I live in GMT-8 Labguy and I do not live nextdoor to you!
    I just forgot my timezone for a moment and said the wrong thing
  7. Dec 14, 2004 #6
    I lament the overcast skies and the snowy weather in the northeast...
  8. Dec 15, 2004 #7
    I wanted to watch the Geminids this monday, but after weeks of almost nothing but clear skies, it has now been cloudy from Saturday or so until today :grumpy:
  9. Dec 18, 2004 #8
    I was on holiday but I still managed to see one faint one from my hotel.:frown: It happened to be facing south :smile:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?