1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Watching meteors tonight

1. Dec 13, 2004 #1

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I've seen two bright ones in almost no time spent watching
    Pleides at zenith
    a couple of brief ventures outside between 9:30 and 9:50 PM

GMT-7, I think.
    they were both overhead going one NW and one SW.

[edit: no I am in GMT-8. Labguy reminded me. I keep forgetting because of daylightsavingtime changes, I guess]

Last edited: Dec 14, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2004 #2
    It's cloudy here as usual. I've missed the Jupiter occultation and now this.

oh well at least I should get to see comet Machholz at some point.

4. Dec 14, 2004 #3

Labguy

Science Advisor

I was outside (testing new binoculars) for only about 15 minutes and saw three nice ones, one very large travelling from NW to SW. GMT -7 hours. Marcus probably lives next door to me and we don't even know it... :bugeye:

5. Dec 14, 2004 #4

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I only managed about 10 minutes outside (1:30 AM) & saw 1 great one (brighter than Sirius), a couple good ones, and about a half-dozen faint ones. Wish I had planned ahead more to spend more time outside...it was a great meteor shower. Although there were several clouds in my area, the seeing was excellent and the moonless night really helped.

6. Dec 14, 2004 #5

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

you know very well I live in GMT-8 Labguy and I do not live nextdoor to you!
    I just forgot my timezone for a moment and said the wrong thing

7. Dec 14, 2004 #6
    I lament the overcast skies and the snowy weather in the northeast...

8. Dec 15, 2004 #7
    I wanted to watch the Geminids this monday, but after weeks of almost nothing but clear skies, it has now been cloudy from Saturday or so until today :grumpy:

9. Dec 18, 2004 #8
    I was on holiday but I still managed to see one faint one from my hotel.:frown: It happened to be facing south :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?