Did You Spot Any Meteors Tonight?

• Thread starter marcus
  • Start date
In summary, the two bright objects seen were both overhead going one NW and one SW. They were both seen at around 9:30 PM GMT-7.
marcus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
I've seen two bright ones in almost no time spent watching
Pleides at zenith
a couple of brief ventures outside between 9:30 and 9:50 PM

GMT-7, I think.
they were both overhead going one NW and one SW.

[edit: no I am in GMT-8. Labguy reminded me. I keep forgetting because of daylightsavingtime changes, I guess]

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
It's cloudy here as usual. I've missed the Jupiter occultation and now this.

oh well at least I should get to see comet Machholz at some point.

marcus said:
I've seen two bright ones in almost no time spent watching
Pleides at zenith
a couple of brief ventures outside between 9:30 and 9:50 PM

GMT-7, I think.
they were both overhead going one NW and one SW.
I was outside (testing new binoculars) for only about 15 minutes and saw three nice ones, one very large traveling from NW to SW. GMT -7 hours. Marcus probably lives next door to me and we don't even know it... :bugeye:

I only managed about 10 minutes outside (1:30 AM) & saw 1 great one (brighter than Sirius), a couple good ones, and about a half-dozen faint ones. Wish I had planned ahead more to spend more time outside...it was a great meteor shower. Although there were several clouds in my area, the seeing was excellent and the moonless night really helped.

Labguy said:
I was outside (testing new binoculars) for only about 15 minutes and saw three nice ones, one very large traveling from NW to SW. GMT -7 hours. Marcus probably lives next door to me and we don't even know it... :bugeye:

you know very well I live in GMT-8 Labguy and I do not live nextdoor to you!
I just forgot my timezone for a moment and said the wrong thing

I lament the overcast skies and the snowy weather in the northeast...

I wanted to watch the Geminids this monday, but after weeks of almost nothing but clear skies, it has now been cloudy from Saturday or so until today :grumpy:

I was on holiday but I still managed to see one faint one from my hotel.:frown: It happened to be facing south :smile:

1. What time should I go outside to watch the meteors tonight?

The best time to watch meteors is typically after midnight and in the early morning hours. This is when the Earth rotates into the path of the meteor shower and you have a better chance of seeing them.

2. Do I need any special equipment to watch meteors?

No, you do not need any special equipment to watch meteors. In fact, binoculars and telescopes are not recommended as they limit your field of view. Simply find a dark location with a clear view of the sky and your eyes will be enough to observe the meteors.

3. How many meteors can I expect to see tonight?

This depends on the meteor shower and other variables such as light pollution and weather conditions. Some meteor showers can produce hundreds of meteors per hour, while others may only have a few visible per hour.

4. What causes meteor showers?

Meteor showers occur when the Earth passes through the debris left behind by a comet or asteroid. As these particles enter the Earth's atmosphere, they burn up and create streaks of light in the sky, known as meteors.

5. Where is the best place to watch meteors?

The best place to watch meteors is away from city lights and in a location with a clear view of the sky. This could be a park, open field, or even your own backyard. Just make sure there is minimal light pollution to increase your chances of seeing meteors.