The DVD Dilemma: Why Do We Still Watch Movies on TV When We Own Them?

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
In summary, people here have a habit of changing their viewing schedules so they can watch their favorite movies or shows on television even when they own the movies or episodes on tape. They also disagree with Penguino about the commercials being the worst part about watching movies on TV.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
Does anyone else here do what me and my friend do? Me and my friend both have this habbit to change our viewing schedules when it comes to TV so that we can watch our favorite movies or shows on tv even when we own the movies/episodes on tape! For example, a few nights ago they were showing Air Force One. I think its pretty good but for some reason, i rearranged my whole nights schedule just to watch it! The odd part though is that I already own the movie on DVD and its right here next to the tv. Whats even worse is that i get pissed off at the commercials!

Does anyone else have this weird little habbit!

Physics news on Phys.org
My daughter does this with any of the Star wars or Back to the Future movies.

I know people who do that. Back when I was a couch potato I think I did that too.

Oh my god, no. I can't stand to watch any movie on commercial television. The commercials are bad enough, but the worst thing is that the TV versions are chopped up to the point where they don't even resemble the original film in some cases. I watched so many movies on TV while growing up, it wasn't until years later when I saw the full versions on cable or DVD that I realized how much I had been missing, and how much better they were as compared with the chopped up versions.

If my friends and I ever want to watch anything, we always rent. I don't think we've ever watched a movie playing on cable TV (usually go to the TV for like Family Guy or little shows like that).

jma2001 said:
Oh my god, no. I can't stand to watch any movie on commercial television. The commercials are bad enough, but the worst thing is that the TV versions are chopped up to the point where they don't even resemble the original film in some cases. I watched so many movies on TV while growing up, it wasn't until years later when I saw the full versions on cable or DVD that I realized how much I had been missing, and how much better they were as compared with the chopped up versions.
Me too - I'm fanatical about my DVDs, so I'll do pretty much the exact opposite of what Penguino does: if a see a movie on TV that I own and get the urge to watch it, I'll pop the dvd in.

Another thing I can't stand about movies on TV is if you find them by flipping through, you always miss the beginning.

russ_watters said:
Me too - I'm fanatical about my DVDs, so I'll do pretty much the exact opposite of what Penguino does: if a see a movie on TV that I own and get the urge to watch it, I'll pop the dvd in.

Another thing I can't stand about movies on TV is if you find them by flipping through, you always miss the beginning.
I don't even own very many DVDs, so that's not an option for me. But I agree about movies on TV (and had the same experience as jma when I was younger, that I didn't even know how different they were from the real movie). I just rent. Maybe after I move and won't be dumping all my spare money into gardens, I can start working on the movies and electronics stuff. I won't be needing any new furniture for a while either, so should have some play money for a change. :biggrin:

1. What are the benefits of watching movies/shows you own?

There are several benefits to watching movies/shows you own, such as having the convenience of watching them whenever you want, being able to pause and resume at any time, and having access to special features or bonus content that may not be available through streaming services.

2. Is it better to own physical copies or digital copies of movies/shows?

This ultimately depends on personal preference. Physical copies allow for a tangible collection and do not rely on internet connection, but can take up space and may become damaged. Digital copies take up less physical space and can be accessed from multiple devices, but rely on internet connection and may be subject to streaming restrictions.

3. Can watching movies/shows you own save money in the long run compared to streaming services?

Yes, owning movies/shows can potentially save money in the long run as you only have to pay for them once, whereas streaming services require a monthly subscription fee. However, this also depends on the frequency of purchasing new movies/shows and the cost of each individual purchase.

4. Are there any legal concerns with watching movies/shows you own?

As long as you have purchased the movies/shows legally, there are no legal concerns with watching them. However, sharing or distributing copies of the content without permission is illegal and can result in penalties.

5. How can owning movies/shows impact the film industry?

Owning movies/shows can have a positive impact on the film industry as it supports the creators and encourages them to continue making content. However, it can also potentially contribute to piracy and decrease profits for studios and production companies.