Watching sun eclipse at sunset

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter pixel01
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Eclipse Sun
In summary, the sun will be eclipsed on Aug 1st. It is safe to look at the sun if it is obscured by the moon, but it is not safe to look at the sun during totality.
pixel01
There's coming sun eclipse on Aug 1. I know that looking directly at the sun even though it is mostly obscured is unsafe to the eyes. But is it safe if I look at the sun eclipse when it is about to set?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Note, solar eclipses are only dangerous during partial eclipse phases. During totality (and only then), it is safe and quite spectacular to watch.

russ_watters said:
No, it isn't. You'll need some eclipse glasses - they're cheap and you can get them at a science store. http://www.bizrate.com/learningtoys/products__keyword--solar+eclipse+glasses.html

Where do you live? The eclipse won't be visible everywhere.

So why many people, including myself, still look at the sunset, and sometimes it's very spectacular. Don't you think the thick atmosphere has absorbed most of the radiation?

Frankly yes - but if you tell people it's OK they will then decide to try it at noon, then someone will do the same with binoculars or a telescope - so it's safer to just tell everyone not to look at the sun.

pixel01 said:
So why many people, including myself, still look at the sunset, and sometimes it's very spectacular. Don't you think the thick atmosphere has absorbed most of the radiation?
It does, but the problem is that the amount of absorption is not necessarily constant, so it can quickly get brighter. The reality is that you are unlikely to harm your eyes watching a sunset, but it is not, strictly speaking, safe.

One important thing to note about eclipses, during the eclipse, the intensity of the sunlight does not decrease (until totality) even though the total light reaching Earth does. That means that being partly eclipsed doesn't decrease the sun's potential for eye injury.

Thanks all for your contribution.
I have just found this :

"..The KASI said Tuesday's eclipse can be safely observed with just dark sunglasses or through cellophane paper because the sun greatly loses its brightness right before it sets. "One can observe the phenomenon from an open mountain with a clear view of the west or from the seashore looking in the direction where the sun goes down," institute said."

link: http://english.chosun.com/w21data/html/news/200807/200807280014.html

Last edited by a moderator:
A couple years ago I watched a partial eclipse at sunset. I live out in farm country, so I drove nutil I found a big plowed field and parked my car at the western end of the field facing east. Even though it was a fairly hazy day, and the sun was quite low, it still felt a bit painfull to look at it, so I scooched up in my seat 'till I was looking through the tinted part fo my windshield. That provided all the protection I needed.

I think it's a good idea to take along some UV-blocking sunglasses, or a CD, in acse ti is a particularly bright sunset that day.

So, did anybody in here get to see it?

Redbelly98 said:
So, did anybody in here get to see it?

Eclipse

Garth

1. What is a sunset eclipse?

A sunset eclipse, also known as a sunset annular eclipse, is a rare event where the moon passes between the Earth and the sun, blocking the sun's rays and creating a ring of light around the moon. This occurs during a specific time and location, typically at sunset.

2. Can I watch the sunset eclipse without any special equipment?

Yes, you can watch the sunset eclipse with your naked eye, but we do not recommend looking directly at the sun without proper eye protection. The safest way to view the eclipse is by using specially designed solar eclipse glasses or a solar filter on a telescope.

3. When and where can I see the next sunset eclipse?

The next sunset eclipse will occur on June 10, 2021 and will be visible in parts of Canada, Greenland, and Russia. The specific timing and location of the eclipse will vary, so it is important to check a reliable source for the exact details.

4. How often do sunset eclipses happen?

Sunset eclipses are rare events and do not occur as frequently as other types of eclipses. On average, a sunset eclipse will happen every 1-2 years. However, the timing and location of the eclipse will vary, so it may not be visible from every location.

5. Is it safe to take photos of the sunset eclipse?

It is generally safe to take photos of the sunset eclipse, but it is important to use proper eye protection when looking through the camera lens. Additionally, make sure to use a solar filter on your camera to prevent damage to the lens. It is also recommended to use a tripod to avoid camera shake and get clear, focused shots.