Watching the Olympics - Share Your Experience!

• Thread starter Shahil
  • Start date
In summary: Furthermore, it's really frustrating that the crowd doesn't seem to be as supportive as they could be. In the men's gymnastics final, the crowd was really loud and supportive the whole time. It's really strange. "In summary, the Olympics have been going on for a few weeks now and there have been a lot of upsets. There have been mistakes in the judging of different events and the crowd has not been as supportive as they could be.
Shahil
Hey guys! Haven't posted here for a while now - the title of this thread should tell you why!

Anyway - here in SA, we got 8 dedicated channels of olympic sport (excluding other sport channels and the non-dedicated channels) so I'm kinda overdosing on olympics. Anyways - thought it would be kewl to start a thread where yo guys can post on anything Olympic - good, bad or any comments about youir viewing experience or your personal experience at the games - be it as olympians or spectators.

Hope to hear form all you guys!

Physics news on Phys.org
I live in Barcelona, and lived the games of 1992. All the city was very nervous because wanted to offer a good image to the world. Fortunately all went well, I remember the ceremony when the archer fired the torch like a very emotive moment. It seemd to me like the people walking in the streets seemd more happier than habitual during that year. Don't know exactly why, but 1992 was one of the best years of my life

I'm on an olympic strike. It's gotten way too commercial. They don't even let the competitors write about their experiences during the games without getting disqulified and losing all their metals. It's just rediculus how protective the networks have gotten about their so called intellectual property.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/5770938/

"Everyone from athletes to journalists is being asked to toss away their Pepsis and finish off Pizza Hut (PEP) delicacies before entering Olympic venues. "I was asked to turn my shirt inside out at the entrance to a match, because the logo was too large and I was sitting in front-row seats, where the TV cameras would have caught sight of me for sure," says one exasperated spectator. In fact, the guidelines published by Athens 2004 say spectators may be refused admission if they're carrying food or drinks made by nonsponsor companies."

Last edited by a moderator:
i don't have cable or satalite TV so I am finding it vary hard to catch the events I am looking for. iv watched at least 10 hours of the olympics and i have only see 2 bouts of boxing. the problem is that my local TV guide gives 5 hour blocks and 4 events but not the order of the events or the length, and besides that, I am catching events not schedualed for that block! the frusration! the confusion! aahhhh!

The real "dream team" is the gold-medal winning US women's softball team. They only gave up one run in the entire tournament, to Australia in the final. An awesome performance.

Soory to hear 'bot you devil-fire. I LOVIN' the games - I've kinda not slept properly in the last couple weeks - nor have I done any homework (and I'm sure that's going to catch up with me sooner or later!)

Anyway - what's amazing me at the moment are all the upsets. Gabresalasie (spelling?), Mutola, the SA team winning the 4x100m freestyle relay, Paul Hamm - wow!

Little bit of a gripe though. The judging is TERRIBLE! Yesterdays gymnastics was stopped for like five minutes because of the judges "judging" of Alexei Nemov. His routine was brilliant but... Also, the women's team gymnastics final had a few errors in judgement. And I won't even go on about Paul Hamm... BUT, it seems that gymnastics is not the only sport "suffering." The fencing had a lot of judgement errors meaning China lost gold. I really think that it's unfair that people lose medals from stupid errors.

What is the purpose of watching the Olympics?

The Olympics are a global sporting event that brings together athletes from various countries to compete in a spirit of friendly competition and sportsmanship. Watching the Olympics allows us to witness the dedication and skill of these athletes and celebrate the diversity and unity of the world.

What sports are included in the Olympics?

The Olympics feature a wide range of sports including swimming, track and field, gymnastics, basketball, soccer, and many more. There are both individual and team events, making it an exciting and diverse spectacle to watch.

How often do the Olympics take place?

The Summer Olympics take place every four years, while the Winter Olympics take place every four years in between the Summer Games. This means that there is an Olympic event every two years.

How are the host cities chosen for the Olympics?

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) chooses the host city for the Olympics through a bidding process. Cities interested in hosting the Olympics must submit a bid and go through a rigorous evaluation process. The chosen host city is announced several years in advance to allow for ample preparation.

What is the significance of the Olympic flame?

The Olympic flame is a symbol of the ancient Greek tradition of lighting a flame at the altar of Zeus during the original Olympic Games. Today, the flame is lit in Olympia, Greece and travels to the host city where it is used to light the Olympic cauldron during the opening ceremony. The flame is extinguished during the closing ceremony, symbolizing the end of the Games.