Maximizing Water Absorption in Plants: Exploring the Diffusion Equation

In summary, diffusion equation can be used to calculate the amount of water absorbed by a plant over time.
Chockful
Anyone know an equation for comparing water absorption by plotted plants vs. evaporation of the water collecting in the pot's water collector? That is, if I water a plant and much of the water leaks through to the collection area how much of that leaked water will evaporate vs. be absorbed by the plant?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your question is too vague. Different plants absorb different ammounts of water. be more spécific

Chockful said:
Anyone know an equation for comparing water absorption by plotted plants vs. evaporation of the water collecting in the pot's water collector? That is, if I water a plant and much of the water leaks through to the collection area how much of that leaked water will evaporate vs. be absorbed by the plant?

That is extremely vague, but you could start with the diffusion equation

Chockful said:
I don't know an equation.You can try this:
Keep the environmental conditions constant through out the experiment.
Leave the pot with 1l of water without putting the plant.
After 1hrs measure the volume of water now.
Put the plant and repeat the experiment.
Now,water lost is = water evaporated+water absorbed.
We know the water evaporated so we can find the water absorbed

This experiment may be inaccurate because plant will reduce the surface area water and light reaching.But this experiment can give a rough result

adjacent, that's a helpful suggestion and I might try that, but I was hoping people might know of an equation already.

gabriel, a good equation would simply have a variable for different plant absorption rates, etc.

The_Engineer, could you explain how the diffusion equation would work in this scenario? Thanks!

What is water absorption by plants?

Water absorption by plants is the process by which plants take in water from the soil through their roots. This water is essential for photosynthesis, growth, and other physiological functions of the plant.

How do plants absorb water?

Plants absorb water through their roots via a process called osmosis. The root cells have specialized structures called root hairs that increase the surface area for water absorption. The water then moves through the root tissues and up the stem to the leaves.

What factors affect water absorption by plants?

The rate of water absorption by plants is influenced by various factors such as soil moisture, temperature, root structure, and the presence of nutrients. These factors can either promote or hinder water absorption by plants.

Why is water absorption important for plants?

Water absorption is crucial for plants as it provides the necessary hydration for their survival. It also helps in the transport of nutrients and minerals from the soil to different parts of the plant, and aids in maintaining turgidity and structure of the plant cells.

What are some common problems associated with water absorption by plants?

Some common problems associated with water absorption by plants include water stress, which occurs when there is a lack of water in the soil, and waterlogging, which occurs when there is an excess of water in the soil. Both of these can have detrimental effects on plant growth and health.