1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Water/Air Rocket

1. Nov 10, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am trying to determine the exit velocity and thrust of a water rocket as a function of time. The total rocket volume is .002m^3 (2 liter coke bottle) and 1kg of water and air initially at .35MPa. Therefore the initial volume of water is .001m^3 and the volume of air is .001m^3 as well.

T = 298K
    Vol_tot = Vol_water + Vol_air (only unknown is M_air where Vol_air = M_air*R_air*T/(P_air))

therefore Vol_water = .001m^3 = Vol_air

I have calculated the initial velocity and exit area to be 22.36m/s and 2.38E-5 m^2 respectively.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I am assuming isentropic expansion of air.

I started by using the Bernouilli equation Po = Pe + 1/2 * rho_water * Ue^2 (where Po is the total air pressure, Pe is assumed to be equal to the ambient air pressure (constant .1MPa)). The Po will change as a function of time, as will the exit velocity (Ue).

I started by trying Po(t) = Mair*Rair*T/(Vol_air(t)) = Pe + 1/2 * rho_water*Ue^2

where Vol_air(t) = Vol_tot - Vol_water(t)

and Vol_water(t) = Vol_water_initial - dVol_water(t)

and dVol_water(t) = dm(t)/rho_water = mdot*dt/rho_water = Ue*Ae*dt

Po(t) = Mair*Rair*T/(Vol_tot - (Vol_water_initial + (U_final*t_final - V_initial*t_initial)*Ae))
    = Pe + 1/2*rho_water *V_initial^2

I solved this equation for V_final and used matlab to get a Velocity vs Time graph and I can tell it's wrong. It seems that there should be an exponential term in there somewhere.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

( I was thinking about doing dPo/dt = d (const/Vol)/dt, however I'm unsure about the volume/time relationship)

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted