1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Water and black holes

1. May 17, 2017 #1
    What would happen if you surrounded a black hole with water?

2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2017 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

the water would fall into the black hole

4. May 17, 2017 #3
    OK, little bit of background here, I thought it would! I was having a discussion with a friend who was talking about how water is incomprehensible, so if you surrounded a black hole with water only some of it would be sucked in. I decided to seek the internet's advice. Sorry but I do not have a super in depth knowledge of this area so I apologize for any mistakes I make. Thanks!

5. May 17, 2017 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I assume that rather than incomprehensible, you mean non-compressible, since water isn't all that hard to understand :smile: You are thinking of pressures like those found in normal objects such as Earth. Black holes aren't like that.

6. May 17, 2017 #5
    Much appreciated. So water would behave differently in the environment of a black hole?

7. May 17, 2017 #6

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

EVERYTHING behaves differently in a black hole.

8. May 17, 2017 #7
    Also, if you compress water "hard" enough, you will get ice (even at room temperature).

9. May 17, 2017 #8

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

This still is talking about the kind of pressure that exists on Earth or that can be made by man. This simply is not comparable to a black hole.

10. May 17, 2017 #9
    Water is much more compressible than many solids. So there is nothing special about considering water instead of rocks or pieces of metal.
    There is no known material which is "in-compressible". Starting from a wrong premise, the question does not have substance.

11. May 17, 2017 #10

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I don't see why even assuming the water is incompressible means anything to the question. If it is a ring of water in orbit, it [boils, freezes, sublimates and] orbits the black hole. A non-rotating sphere of water, it [boils, freezes, sublimates and] falls into the black hole. Is getting crushed really what the OP is about?

12. May 17, 2017 #11
    Cool, thanks guys!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted