Water & Electricity Safety: Is it Necessary?

In summary: It looks like some European connections I've seen before in power strips. They have two prongs in the plug that stab into the receptacle.Thanks for the response.
Engineering news on Phys.org
hehe, you got to be kidding :biggrin:

Most likely the quickest path of return will be in the power strip, if it's submerged it will just blow the circuit barker.

It's always dangerous to have glass bottles at a pool. Duh.

This same photo came up in one of the usenet electronics groups a few years ago. After our initial outrage, I think the consensus was that it is a "staged" photo, and the circuit was not live.

this doesn't appear to be such a stupid question, althought the pool is made of rubber, therefore insulated the supply is the most likely return path to earth, so u would be killed, but what if the supply was without neutral and earth, just a core in the water would the people be shocked?? I am thinking mayb not as there is no return path for the electricity?
can anyone clarify.
thanks

Where was the photo taken and what is the voltage? Where do you find power strips with the prongs in it instead of the cord?

waht said:
hehe, you got to be kidding :biggrin:

Most likely the quickest path of return will be in the power strip, if it's submerged it will just blow the circuit barker.

I agree with waht...it will trip the breaker since there would be a dead short across the hot and return line. I don't see any fault current paths elsewhere.

CS

skeptic2 said:
Where was the photo taken and what is the voltage? Where do you find power strips with the prongs in it instead of the cord?

It looks like some European connections I've seen before in power strips. They have two prongs in the plug that stab into the receptacle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_power_plugs_and_sockets#Type_C

CS

1. Is it really necessary to have separate water and electricity systems?

Yes, it is absolutely necessary to have separate water and electricity systems. Mixing water and electricity can be extremely dangerous and may result in electrical shocks, electrocution, or fire.

2. How can water cause electrical hazards?

Water is a good conductor of electricity, which means it can carry electrical currents. If water comes into contact with electrical outlets, wires, or appliances, it can create a path for electricity to flow through and can cause shocks or short circuits.

3. What are some potential risks of not following water and electricity safety measures?

Not following water and electricity safety measures can lead to serious injuries or even fatalities. It can also cause damage to electrical equipment and appliances, and can result in expensive repairs or replacements.

4. Are there certain precautions that should be taken when using electrical appliances near water sources?

Yes, it is important to take precautions when using electrical appliances near water sources. This includes keeping appliances away from water, using ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCIs), and making sure your hands are dry before touching any electrical appliances or outlets.

5. Can water and electricity safety be ensured in older homes or buildings?

Yes, water and electricity safety can be ensured in older homes or buildings by having them inspected by a certified electrician. If any issues or hazards are found, they can be addressed and necessary precautions can be taken to ensure the safety of the occupants.