Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Water and electricity

1. Oct 23, 2009 #1
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2009 #2
    hehe, you gotta be kidding :biggrin:

Most likely the quickest path of return will be in the power strip, if it's submerged it will just blow the circuit barker.
  4. Oct 23, 2009 #3

Staff: Mentor

It's always dangerous to have glass bottles at a pool. Duh.
  5. Oct 23, 2009 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This same photo came up in one of the usenet electronics groups a few years ago. After our initial outrage, I think the consensus was that it is a "staged" photo, and the circuit was not live.
  6. Oct 29, 2009 #5
    this doesnt appear to be such a stupid question, althought the pool is made of rubber, therefore insulated the supply is the most likely return path to earth, so u would be killed, but what if the supply was without neutral and earth, just a core in the water would the people be shocked?? im thinking mayb not as there is no return path for the electricity?
    can anyone clarify.
  7. Oct 29, 2009 #6
    Where was the photo taken and what is the voltage? Where do you find power strips with the prongs in it instead of the cord?
  8. Oct 30, 2009 #7

Science Advisor

I agree with waht...it will trip the breaker since there would be a dead short across the hot and return line. I don't see any fault current paths elsewhere.

9. Oct 30, 2009 #8

Science Advisor

It looks like some European connections I've seen before in power strips. They have two prongs in the plug that stab into the receptacle.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook