Water & Electrolyte: How Does it Work?

• Thread starter thedy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary, Water is not a good conductor due to its high specific resistance. However, it can become conductive when contaminated by ions, which allow for the transfer of charge through the solution. This process is different from the transfer of charge in metals, which have free electrons.
thedy
I have no idea why water is good conductor.Water has not a lot of freee electrons.Yes water has ions,but theoretically,if I catch a wire under current and I stay in water what is going on with ions?They cannot go through body.Only electrons.So how is it possible?

Physics news on Phys.org
Water is not a good conductor, quite the opposite. Ultrapure water has a specific resistance of 18 MΩcm

Then, water gest very easily contaminated and it is presence of ions from contamination that makes it conductive.

--

Borek said:
Water is not a good conductor, quite the opposite. Ultrapure water has a specific resistance of 18 MΩcm

Then, water gest very easily contaminated and it is presence of ions from contamination that makes it conductive.

--
buffer calculator, concentration calculator
pH calculator, stoichiometry calculator
Yes,I know that ions makes water good conductor,but I don t understand the process of this.I metals are free electrons,but water not.And ions cannot be oxidise or reduce,because there aren t any electrodes like for example in the battery.So my question is,what exactly conducts electric current.Some graph or something will be welcome.THanks again

Moving ions transfer charge in bulk of the solution, reduction/oxidation on electrodes transfers charge through the phase border.

--

1. How does water help regulate electrolyte balance in the body?

Water is essential for maintaining electrolyte balance in the body. Electrolytes are minerals that carry an electric charge and are necessary for many bodily functions, including regulating fluid balance. When we drink water, it helps to dilute and distribute electrolytes throughout the body, ensuring they are in the right concentration for optimal function.

2. Why is it important to replenish electrolytes when we are dehydrated?

Electrolytes are lost through sweat and urine, and when we are dehydrated, our electrolyte levels can become imbalanced. This can lead to symptoms such as muscle cramps, fatigue, and confusion. Replenishing electrolytes is important because they help to regulate fluid balance, nerve and muscle function, and blood pressure.

3. Can drinking too much water cause an electrolyte imbalance?

Although rare, drinking too much water can lead to an electrolyte imbalance. This is because excessive water intake can dilute the electrolytes in the body, causing them to become too low. This is known as hyponatremia and can be dangerous, especially for athletes who consume large amounts of water during intense exercise.

4. How do electrolytes impact athletic performance?

Electrolytes play a crucial role in athletic performance. They help to regulate fluid balance, which is essential for maintaining hydration levels during exercise. Electrolytes also help with nerve and muscle function, which is important for movement and endurance. When electrolyte levels are imbalanced, it can negatively impact an athlete's performance and lead to symptoms such as muscle cramps and fatigue.

5. Are there any foods that are good sources of electrolytes?

Yes, there are several foods that are good sources of electrolytes, including fruits and vegetables such as bananas, avocados, and leafy greens. Dairy products, nuts, and seeds are also good sources of electrolytes. Additionally, sports drinks and electrolyte supplements can also help replenish electrolytes after intense exercise or dehydration.