Water and Ice mixture, Find original temperature of water

In summary: Draw a diagram. Compare the volumes. Use the right density for ice (Not a biggie, but 920 is the rounded value for 919.2 kg/m^3) In summary, an 8 cm3 ice cube at a temperature of 0.00 °C is dropped into 3 dL of juice, resulting in the ice melting and the juice dropping to a temperature of 3.00 °C. Using the equation Q=mcΔT and assuming no energy is lost to the surroundings, the temperature of the juice before the ice cube was added can be calculated to be approximately 5.03 °C, or -0.97 °C depending on whether (Tfinal-Tinitial)
Moon_tm

Homework Statement

An 8 cm3 ice cube (temperature = 0.00 °C) is dropped into a glass with 3 dL juice which results in the ice cube being melted. By doing this, the juice drops to a temperature of 3.00 °C. What was the temperature of the juice before the ice cube was added? (Treat juice as water in this assignment. The density for ice is 920
kg/m3
. Assume no energy is lost to the surroundings).

ice
m1=(920)(8E-6) = 7.36E-3
T1=0 C

juice=water
m2=(1000)(0.3) = 0.3kg
T0water=?

mixture
Tfinal=3°C

Homework Equations

[/B]
Q=mcΔT
H=mLf

The Attempt at a Solution

Energy gained by ice = Energy lost by water

(Ice → Water0C) + (Water0C → Water3C) = Waterinitial → Water3C

m1Lf+m1c(T3-T0) = m2c(Tinitial-T3)
m1[Lf+c(T3-T0)]/m2c=Tinitial-T3

I am not sure whether in the case of water ΔT is (Tfinal-Tinitial) or vice versa.
I get either a negative temperature, which is bs, or after swapping them around Tinitial= 5°C which I do not quite believe, because who would want to cool down water by 2°C?!

Please help, I am on the verge of questioning my sanity after spending more than an hour on this...
(One year ago it would've been no problem for me, but after a year of little to no physics my brain went ..dumb :D)

Physics news on Phys.org
There are a c and a Lf in this calculation; what are the numerical values you use ?
And yes, one cube for 3 dl isn't much...

Method looks ok. Show your working.

values from google or specific tables
cwater= 4180 J/KgK
Lfice= 334E3 J/Kg

Working? Like substituting in the numbers? I mentioned the results I got after having substituted. One was negative, close to -1 and the other was 5 after swapping the final and initial in
Can you please focus on the question whether in the case of water/juice ΔT is (Tfinal-Tinitial) or (Tinitial-Tfinal)

http://www4c.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP28701i007f2a3h8b607b000022ab0bhbac85297h?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=30 =5.03
http://www4c.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP7451i161d717h0b1gbe00004g3egf9d7604ce93?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=61 =-0.97
editable: http://goo.gl/dxxaum

Last edited by a moderator:
Moon_tm said:
Tinitial= 5°C which I do not quite believe, because who would want to cool down water by 2°C?!
As BvU observes, that is not much ice for 300mL of drink.
Moon_tm said:
(Tfinal-Tinitial) or (Tinitial-Tfinal)
Make a decision, which makes sense to you? Remember ΔQwater=-ΔQice.

1. What is the relationship between water and ice?

The relationship between water and ice is that ice is the solid form of water. When water reaches its freezing point (0 degrees Celsius or 32 degrees Fahrenheit), it turns into ice.

2. How can you determine the original temperature of water that has been mixed with ice?

To determine the original temperature of water that has been mixed with ice, you can use the principle of energy conservation. This means that the total energy of the system (water and ice) remains constant. By measuring the mass and temperature of the ice and water, you can calculate the original temperature of the water before it was mixed with ice.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of determining the original temperature of water and ice mixture?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of determining the original temperature of water and ice mixture. These include the precision of the measuring instruments, any heat loss to the surroundings, and any impurities in the water or ice. It is important to control these factors as much as possible to get an accurate measurement.

4. Can the original temperature of water and ice mixture be higher than the freezing point of water?

Yes, it is possible for the original temperature of water and ice mixture to be higher than the freezing point of water. This can happen if the water has impurities or if the measuring instruments are not precise enough. However, it is unlikely for the original temperature to be significantly higher than the freezing point.

5. How can knowing the original temperature of water and ice mixture be useful in scientific research?

Knowing the original temperature of water and ice mixture can be useful in various scientific research, such as studying the properties of water and ice or understanding the effects of impurities on freezing point depression. It can also be used in practical applications, such as determining the efficiency of refrigeration systems or predicting the melting time of ice in different environments.