Water & Steam Tables: Understanding Specific Density

In summary, the conversation discusses a formula involving specific density for liquid and gaseous phases at different pressures and temperatures in a steam drum of a boiler. The speaker is seeking clarification on the terminology and typical values for these densities.
Micko
Hello and Happy New Year to all,

I have found one formula which uses terms I hope you'll help me understand.
It is given in the attachment, and this is l

rhoW1 specific density [kg/m3] (corresponds to table value Pa = 1 bar, liquid phase)
rhoD1 specific density [kg/m3] (corresponds to table value Pa = 1 bar, gaseous phase)

rhoM1 Specific density [kg/m3] (corresponds to table value Pa = 1 bar, reference column)

rhoW Specific density [kg/m3] (interpolated value, liquid phase)

rhoS specific density [kg/m3] (interpolated values, gaseous phase)

rhoM specific density [kg/m3] (reference water column at ambient temperature)Now, there are terminology used here I don't understand.

1. Specific density. What is that? I know about density, but not sure what specific density is.
liquid phase (steam table) means saturated water and gaseous phase (steam table) means saturated steam.
2. What would be steam density at P = 1bar?
To give you more informations, these densities are corresponding to steam and water in steam drum in boiler.
Typical values: Temperature of steam from 220 to 300 °C, pressure is about 150 bar and temperature of reference column is about 40 °C.
Now can you help me and pint to water and steam tables to figure out what would be typical values of above mentioned densities?

Thank you

Attachments

• Formula.jpg
    Formula.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 462
Physics news on Phys.org
This looks like some sort of formula for interpolation in the steam tables, but, without additional context, it is really impossible to guess what is involved here.

1. What are water and steam tables?

Water and steam tables are graphical representations of the physical properties of water and steam at different temperatures and pressures. They show values such as specific volume, density, enthalpy, and entropy, which are important for understanding and analyzing the behavior of water and steam in various applications.

2. Why is it important to understand specific density?

Specific density is a measure of the mass per unit volume of a substance. It is important to understand because it affects the behavior and properties of water and steam, such as their ability to transfer heat and energy. It also plays a role in determining the efficiency and performance of systems that use water and steam, such as power plants and refrigeration systems.

3. How are water and steam tables used?

Water and steam tables are used by scientists and engineers to obtain important physical property data for water and steam at different temperatures and pressures. This data is then used to analyze and design systems that use water and steam, such as boilers, turbines, and condensers. They are also used in research and development to understand the behavior of water and steam in various environments.

4. What is the difference between saturated and superheated steam?

Saturated steam is steam that is in equilibrium with liquid water at a given temperature and pressure. It contains a mixture of liquid and vapor phases. Superheated steam, on the other hand, is steam that has been heated above its saturation temperature and pressure. It exists in the gaseous phase only and does not contain any liquid water.

5. How do changes in pressure and temperature affect the properties of water and steam?

Changes in pressure and temperature have a significant impact on the properties of water and steam. As pressure increases, the density and specific volume of water and steam decrease. On the other hand, as temperature increases, the density and specific volume of water and steam increase. This is important to consider when designing systems that use water and steam, as changes in pressure and temperature can affect their performance and efficiency.