Water-based Computers: An Innovative Invention

In summary, a group of people have successfully created a system that uses water droplets and magnets to build logic gates, with potential applications beyond traditional computing. This unconventional method is slower than current computers, but the mere possibility and realization of such a system is intriguing. Additionally, there have been previous developments in pneumatic devices for storing data and logic gates, and there is potential for further advancements using water bridging circuits.
ShayanJ
Insights Author
Gold Member
This is really interesting, so I thought I share it.
These people succeeded in finding a way to build all the logic gates using a system that manipulates water droplets using magnets and a magnetic field. Its slower than current computers but they have other (interesting) applications in mind. But to me, the mere possibility of such a thing and that there are people who actually did it, is really interesting.

Likes Baluncore and billy_joule
Engineering news on Phys.org
i read the article and watched the video they had. one question i have is especially after watching the video is where is the control to specify a droplets pathing ?
seemed they followed almost random paths depending on how many options were possible.

I do see you could use the water bridging circuits even if all it did was a circle over a set of predetermined pathways.

1. What exactly is a water-based computer?

A water-based computer is a type of computer that uses water as the primary medium for transferring and processing data. The water acts as a conductor and can be manipulated to carry out calculations and perform other operations.

2. How does a water-based computer work?

A water-based computer works by using tiny water droplets to represent binary digits (0s and 1s). These droplets are then manipulated and moved through a series of channels to perform calculations and process data.

3. What are the advantages of using water as the primary medium for computing?

There are several advantages to using water-based computers. The first is that water is a renewable resource, making it an eco-friendly option compared to traditional computers that use non-renewable materials. Additionally, water is a highly efficient conductor, meaning that water-based computers can perform calculations much faster than traditional computers. Water is also less prone to overheating, making these computers more reliable and durable.

4. Are there any limitations to water-based computers?

One limitation of water-based computers is that they require a constant source of electricity to keep the water droplets in motion. This can be a challenge in areas with limited access to electricity. Additionally, water-based computers may not be suitable for all types of computing tasks, as they may not have the same processing power as traditional computers for certain applications.

5. How can water-based computers potentially impact the future of computing?

Water-based computers have the potential to revolutionize the way we think about computing. With their renewable and efficient design, they offer a more sustainable and eco-friendly alternative to traditional computers. Additionally, the speed and reliability of water-based computers could open up new possibilities for advanced computing tasks, such as artificial intelligence and data processing. Overall, water-based computers have the potential to greatly impact the future of computing and technology as we know it.