Water Column Resonance Time Interval Calculation

In summary, the problem involves a cylindrical vessel filled with water and a pinhole at the bottom. The air column in the vessel is resonating in fundamental mode with a tuning fork. After the pin cork is pulled out, water starts flowing out and the time interval for resonance to occur again is calculated by finding the difference between the heights of the water column at two resonances and using the equation for rate of decrease of water column. The speed of sound used is 330 m/s and the final result for the time interval is approximately 320 seconds.
utkarshakash
Gold Member

Homework Statement

There is a cylindrical vessel of cross-sectional area 20cm^2 and length 1m is initially filled with water to a certain height as shown. There is a very small pinhole of cross-sectional area 0.01cm^2 at the bottom of the cylinder which is initially plugged with a pin cork. The air column in the cylinder is resonating in fundamental mode with a tuning fork of frequency 340Hz. Suddenly the pin cork is pulled out and water starts flowing out of the cylinder. Find the time interval after which resonance occurs again.

The Attempt at a Solution

The setup is equivalent to a closed organ pipe. The fundamental frequency is given by nv/4L.
Let the initial height of water column be h1. At second resonance let the height change to h2.

h1-h2=v/4*340

The velocity of water coming out of hole is given by [itex]\sqrt{2gx}[/itex]

Thus, rate of decrease of water column = 0.01v/20.

[itex]\dfrac{dx}{dt} = \dfrac{0.01\sqrt{2gx}}{20} [/itex]

If I integrate this from h1 to h2, I am left with the expression [itex]\sqrt{h_1}-\sqrt{h_2}[/itex].

I already know the difference between the heights but not the difference between their square roots. How do I calculate it?

Physics news on Phys.org
utkarshakash said:
h1-h2=v/4*340

I don't think this is correct. If you haven't already done so, draw a diagram showing the nodes and antinodes of the standing sound wave for each of the two resonances.

[itex]\dfrac{dx}{dt} = \dfrac{0.01\sqrt{2gx}}{20} [/itex]

This looks good except you should think about whether or not a negative sign needs to be included (x is decreasing as time increases).

If I integrate this from h1 to h2, I am left with the expression [itex]\sqrt{h_1}-\sqrt{h_2}[/itex].

I already know the difference between the heights but not the difference between their square roots. How do I calculate it?

From your diagrams of nodes and antinodes, you should be able to determine the heights h1 and h2.

By the way, what are you supposed to use for the speed of sound?

TSny said:
From your diagrams of nodes and antinodes, you should be able to determine the heights h1 and h2.

By the way, what are you supposed to use for the speed of sound?

Here is my attempt at the problem .

I am using g = 9.8ms-2 and speed of sound = 330 m/s

The length of air column l = nλ/4 = nv/4f , n=1,3,5...

l1 = 0.24m
l2 = 0.72m

Consequently h1 = 0.76m and h2 = 0.28m

##\dfrac{dx}{dt} = - \dfrac{0.01\sqrt{2gx}}{20}##

Integrating , t = 902.93 (√h1 - √h2)

Putting values of h1 and h2 , I am getting t ≈ 307 sec .

TSny ,are you getting the same answer ?

Many Thanks

That looks good. I get slightly different results for some of the numbers in your calculation. My final answer for t = 315 s ≈ 320 s to 2 significant figures.

Thanks a lot :smile:

What is water column resonance?

Water column resonance is a phenomenon in which sound waves are amplified and reinforced within a body of water due to the resonance of the water column. This occurs when the wavelength of the sound waves matches the length of the water column, resulting in a stronger and more sustained sound.

How does water column resonance occur?

Water column resonance occurs when sound waves are transmitted through the water, causing the water molecules to vibrate and create waves. If the frequency of the sound waves matches the natural frequency of the water column, the waves will be reinforced and amplified, resulting in resonance.

What factors affect water column resonance?

The length and shape of the water column, as well as the density and temperature of the water, can affect water column resonance. The speed of sound in water is also a factor, as it determines the frequency of the sound waves and whether they will match the natural frequency of the water column.

How is water column resonance used in scientific research?

Water column resonance is used in various scientific studies, such as studying marine life and oceanography. By using sound waves and measuring the resulting resonance, scientists can gather information about the properties and movement of water, as well as the presence and behavior of animals in the water.

Can water column resonance be harmful?

In general, water column resonance is not harmful to humans or marine life. However, excessive noise levels from human activities such as sonar can disrupt the natural behavior of marine animals and potentially cause harm. Additionally, in rare cases, water column resonance can cause structural damage to underwater structures or vessels if the sound waves are strong enough.