Water cooled engines on a boat

In summary, the conversation is discussing a contraption on a boat that has something to do with water cooling the engines. The contraption is located at the back of the boat and the person is wondering if it is a siphon exit. Another person explains that it is a riser in the exhaust manifold, which prevents water from flowing back into the engine through the exhaust. They also mention that in modern boats, fresh water coolant mixed with antifreeze is more common. The person who asked the question confirms that the explanation makes sense, but they still can't understand why it is a heat exchanger. Another person chimes in and explains that it is a vent to prevent siphoning in the cooling system.
sunny marella
Hi,

Can somone explain to me what this contraption is(Upon querying the boat-man,he replied it had something to do with water cooling the engines).
(//postimage.org/image/4g03vm1bn/),but this "thing" was at the boat aft.Is this some kind of a siphon exit?
Isn't the water input supposed to start at the hull given that it is a open system?(Logically seems correct to me)
Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Photo doesn't work...

Can't see the picture, but from your description I'll take a guess that you are talking about the riser in the exhaust manifold. Think about it as an upside-down S-trap in a plumbing drain. Does the same thing in the opposite way. Prevents water flow back into the engine thru the exhaust.

In a raw water cooled system, the water first flows thru the engine water jacket, then thru a jacket on the exhaust manifold, which is probably the thing you are talking about. Some of the water is also dumped into the exhaust flow itself, so you have wet steam exiting with the exhaust at a port near the water line. The riser prevents water to flow into that port and into the engine.

Last edited:
Another thing to consider is that while raw water cooling used to be very common, it is more common today to use fresh water coolant mixed with antifreeze, just like in your car. The only thing that would be different from what I wrote above concerning the raw water flow would be that it would flow through a liquid-to-liquid heat exchanger instead of the engine water jacket. This heat exchanger would serve the same thing as the radiator in your car. (The term "radiator" is not technically accurate. What you really have in your car is a liquid-to-air heat exchanger. it actually radiates very little. Most the heat transfer is in convection.)

So the thing you are looking at may be a heat exchanger.

Photo attached.Please verify if this is what it seems.
Unable to post pic as i am a new member.

But the S-Trap explanation fits,although i still can't comprehend this to be a heat-exchanger.(No heat flow was detected at exit).

Attachments

• DSC01767[1].jpg
    DSC01767[1].jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 500
marellasunny said:
Photo attached.Please verify if this is what it seems.
Unable to post pic as i am a new member.

But the S-Trap explanation fits,although i still can't comprehend this to be a heat-exchanger.(No heat flow was detected at exit).
That appears to be the snorkel of a submarine that is trying to surface directly beneath you...

That appears to be a vent intended to break a potential siphon in the cooling system. You see the same thing on top of most houses, so that a negative pressure cannot developed in the sewer lines and possibly suck the water out of your S-traps. Also a convenient access port to clear obstructions from the line with a rodder.

1. How does a water cooled engine work on a boat?

A water cooled engine on a boat works by using water from the surrounding environment to cool down the engine. The engine has a water intake that brings in water from outside and circulates it through the engine block, absorbing heat and carrying it away. The heated water is then expelled through the exhaust system.

2. What are the advantages of having a water cooled engine on a boat?

The main advantage of a water cooled engine on a boat is that it prevents the engine from overheating. The constant flow of water keeps the engine at a stable temperature, preventing any damage to the internal components. Additionally, water is a more efficient coolant than air, allowing the engine to run at higher temperatures without risking damage.

3. Are there any maintenance requirements for a water cooled engine on a boat?

Yes, there are maintenance requirements for a water cooled engine on a boat. The water intake and exhaust systems need to be regularly checked and cleaned to ensure proper flow of water. It is also important to regularly change the engine's coolant and monitor the temperature gauge while operating the boat.

4. Can a water cooled engine on a boat be used in both freshwater and saltwater?

Yes, a water cooled engine on a boat can be used in both freshwater and saltwater. However, it is important to flush the engine with freshwater after each use in saltwater to prevent corrosion and buildup of salt deposits. Additionally, using a saltwater-specific coolant can also help protect the engine.

5. What are some potential issues with a water cooled engine on a boat?

One potential issue with a water cooled engine on a boat is clogging of the water intake or exhaust systems. This can result in insufficient cooling and potential engine damage. Another issue is leaks in the cooling system, which can lead to loss of coolant and overheating. Regular maintenance and inspections can help prevent these issues.