1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Water detector

1. May 31, 2012 #1
    I'm new to the forum, and will much appreciate your advice.
    Looking to build a cheap water detector, that will not change the chemistry of the water.
    It should simply indicate if water is touching it (if water reach a certain level in a tank made of plastic).
    Many thanks
    Al

2. jcsd
  3. May 31, 2012 #2

Danger

Gold Member

Hi, AR.
    Although I don't know the scale of your project, a simple float switch should suffice. As long as there is no turbulence in the water, you can pre-tune it to the point that a mm or so of additional water will trigger it.

4. May 31, 2012 #3
    Any reference or direction for a "simple float switch"?
    My limited experience with floats was that they sometimes remain stuck; any insight will help.
    Many thanks,
    Al

5. May 31, 2012 #4

Danger

Gold Member

Well, I'm no expert on this by any means. Something like a ping-pong ball glued to the end of a mini-lever switch (waterproofed with latex or silicon) would work quite well.

edit: The waterproofing isn't necessary if you can be sure that the switch will remain dry.

6. May 31, 2012 #5

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

In some experimental submersible sonar units we used two metal strips glued very close together in paralell on a non-conductive surface. Each was connected by a wire to a detector circuit. To one we applied +5 Volts and the other became the input to a comparator. If water intruded (leaked in) it conducted enough of that +5 Volts to switch the comparator to "true= leak".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook