Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Water droplets and optics

1. Feb 18, 2009 #1
    It is said that bush fires in Africa can be started by water droplets in the grass. How could this work? What actually causes the burning?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2009 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Have you ever used a magnifying glass in the sunlight to light fires?

4. Feb 18, 2009 #3
    yes, but i never knew how that worked..

5. Feb 18, 2009 #4

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

The lens (or water drop) concentrates the light that enters it, at its focal point.

6. Feb 19, 2009 #5

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

This is how some old weather-recording devices worked- a large glass ball sat in the center of a ring of paper. If the sun was out, the paper would have a char line, and if it was cloudy, there would be no line.

7. Feb 20, 2009 #6
    OK, and I'm not trying to be silly here at all, but I question the water droplet scenario.

A water droplet tends to be quite small, and I would imagine also grossly distorts while clinging to, say, a blade of grass or some such thing.

It seems to me that the droplets size itself, even if it could be shaped into an ideal lens for starting a fire, would simply be inadequate. After all, with a true lens the size of a water droplet, I tend to doubt there is enough surface area to concentrate sufficient sun-light to start a fire. Indeed, could a fire be started with a lens which has a diameter less than that of a pencil eraser?

But I could be wrong on that aspect.
    Even if I were, a water droplet in nature is so grossly deformed apart from an ideal lens that the potential is even much less, it seems to me.

Just my thoughts...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook