Water electrolysis equipment

In summary, the conversation is about someone's school wanting to buy a water electrolysis machine to produce H2, but the speaker believes it is not a good idea. They are looking for recommendations on companies that produce such machines in medium or large volume. They also mention searching on Google but not finding the desired results. Someone asks about the desired production volumes and pressure requirements, and the speaker clarifies their stance on buying a system instead of building one.
SeanNg
Hi all,

Currently, my school wants to buy a water electrolysis machine to produce H2. From my point of view it is stupid but no choice.

Does anyone here know any company make water electrolysis machine in medium or large volume? I will directly contact them. I have search by google but the results are not like what I expected.

Thank you everyone,

Regards,
Sean

Engineering news on Phys.org
What volumes would you like to produce? Do you need it made at a specific pressure?

I don't think buying a system is stupid. If your producing hydrogen in large rates then buying a system will more than pay for itself rather than building one from scratch.

Hi Sean,

I understand your concerns about the use of a water electrolysis machine for H2 production. While it may not be the most efficient or cost-effective method, it is still a viable option for producing hydrogen.

In terms of companies that manufacture water electrolysis machines, there are several options available. Some well-known companies include Nel Hydrogen, ITM Power, and Proton OnSite. These companies offer a range of electrolysis equipment in various sizes and capacities, so I suggest contacting them directly to discuss your school's specific needs.

Additionally, I would recommend exploring alternative methods for producing hydrogen, such as steam reforming or biomass gasification, which may be more suitable for your school's budget and resources.

I hope this helps and good luck with your search for a water electrolysis machine.

Best regards,

1. What is water electrolysis equipment?

Water electrolysis equipment is a scientific tool used for separating water into its component elements, hydrogen and oxygen, through the process of electrolysis. This involves passing an electric current through water, causing the water molecules to break apart and release hydrogen and oxygen gas.

2. How does water electrolysis equipment work?

Water electrolysis equipment consists of two electrodes (usually made of a conductive metal such as platinum) placed in a container filled with water and an electrolyte solution. When an electric current is passed through the electrodes, the water molecules are split into hydrogen ions (H+) and hydroxide ions (OH-). The hydrogen ions are attracted to the negative electrode, while the hydroxide ions are attracted to the positive electrode. This results in the production of hydrogen gas at the negative electrode and oxygen gas at the positive electrode.

3. What is the purpose of using water electrolysis equipment?

The main purpose of using water electrolysis equipment is to produce hydrogen gas, which can then be used as a clean and renewable source of energy. Hydrogen gas can be used for fuel cell technology to power vehicles and generate electricity. It can also be used as a feedstock for industrial processes, such as producing ammonia for fertilizers.

4. Are there different types of water electrolysis equipment?

Yes, there are two main types of water electrolysis equipment: alkaline electrolysis and proton exchange membrane (PEM) electrolysis. Alkaline electrolysis uses an alkaline solution as the electrolyte, while PEM electrolysis uses a solid polymer membrane. Each type has its own advantages and disadvantages, and the choice depends on the specific application and requirements.

5. Is water electrolysis equipment a sustainable technology?

Yes, water electrolysis equipment is considered a sustainable technology because it uses water as its raw material and does not produce any harmful emissions. Additionally, the electricity used for the process can be generated from renewable sources, making it a clean and environmentally friendly method of producing hydrogen gas.