Water equivalent of a kettle

In summary, the conversation discusses calculations related to heating water in a kettle. The first question involves calculating the time it takes to raise the temperature of water from 15 degrees Celsius to 90 degrees Celsius, given the constant resistance of the kettle and applied voltage. The answer is 11 minutes and 56 seconds, which is confirmed by the textbook. The second question involves finding the time it takes to raise a second liter of water through the same temperature range, assuming the same conditions as the first calculation. The answer is 10 minutes and 58 seconds, which differs from the answer in the textbook. The conversation also mentions the efficiency and water equivalent of the kettle, as well as the assumption made in the calculations. Finally, there is a
ande
1. The element of a heater kettle has a constant resistance of 105 ohms and applied voltage of 240V.

1. Calculate the time taken to raise the temperature of water from 15 degrees Celsius to 90 assuming that. 80% of the power input to the kettle is usefully employed. I worked this out and got 11 min 56sec which is the same answer that appears on the textbook

2. If the water equivalent of the kettle is 150g, find how long it will take to raise a second litre of. Water through the same temp range immediately after the first time. I get 10min 08sec but the textbook says 10min 58sec. Please shed some light
2. Q= mcdt P= V^2/R and efficiency = Po/Pi3. I attempted the question by subtracting the equivalent mass from the mass of water thus giving a net mass of 0.85 but the answer I got doesn't correspond with the textbook. Assume 1L = 1kg

Physics news on Phys.org
ande said:
a second litre
This is a clue.
ande said:
giving a net mass of 0.85
Think about the assumption you made to get this number, then try it again.

Bystander said:
This is a clue.

Think about the assumption you made to get this number, then try it again.
Correct me of I'm wrong but if the second litre is heated immediately after the first, 150g of the system is theoretically at 90 degrees correct? You'll have to pardon my reasoning, I'm a first year electrical engineering student.

Figure the capacity of the kettle is at least two liters. If you can heat one liter plus the kettle in time x, at whatever efficiency, if the efficiency is constant, you can heat two liters plus the kettle in what time? What is the difference between the two times?

1. What is the water equivalent of a kettle?

The water equivalent of a kettle is the amount of water that can be held by the kettle when it is filled to its maximum capacity.

2. How is the water equivalent of a kettle measured?

The water equivalent of a kettle is measured in liters or gallons, depending on the unit of measurement used in the particular region.

3. Why is it important to know the water equivalent of a kettle?

Knowing the water equivalent of a kettle is important for cooking and brewing purposes. It allows you to accurately measure the amount of water needed for a recipe or to achieve the desired strength of a beverage.

4. Does the water equivalent of a kettle change based on the material of the kettle?

Yes, the water equivalent of a kettle can vary depending on the material it is made of. For example, a metal kettle may have a larger water equivalent than a glass kettle due to differences in density and thickness.

5. Can the water equivalent of a kettle change over time?

No, the water equivalent of a kettle remains constant unless the kettle is damaged or altered in some way that affects its capacity to hold water.