Water Flow Discharge: Is My Thinking Correct?

In summary, the conversation discusses two tubes filled with liquid, one straight and 20 feet long and the other spiraled and 100 feet long. It is concluded that the straight tube will have more pressure at the bottom due to its higher fall, as pressure is dependent on the height of the fluid. Both tubes are filled with water and the spiral tube has a longer length, but this does not affect the pressure. The correct term for the measurement is pressure, not force.
pragmaticindulgence
I've got two tubes filled with liquid, their both of equal diameters, the first one is straight up and down about 20 feet long, the other is 100 feet long but is spiraled like on a spool, since the straight tube has a higher fall than the spiral, I would assume that the straight tube would have more pressure.
Is my thinking correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Pragmatic. Yes, your answer is correct. If there is no flow in the tubes (the fluid is static) then the only thing pressure at the bottom of the tube is dependant on is "head" or the height of the fluid. It is also independant of the diameter, length and shape of the tube. Pressure at the bottom is simply the density times gravity times height plus whatever pressure there is at the top of the fluid, it's that simple.

What pressure are you referring to? The static pressure at the bottom of the tube? Are the tops and bottoms of the tubes at the same heights? Are both tubes filled with the same liquid to the same level?

Perhaps pressure is not the right discription, I should of probably said force?
The spiral is lower, but both are even at the bottom.
Both have water, but the spiral since it is 100 foot long it would have that much more water.

No. Pressure is the correct term. After what you have mentioned, Q's reply is the appropriate one. As he mentioned, the pressure head is going to be only dependent on the height of the water, not the amount.

thanks, may have another question on
this later.

What is water flow discharge?

Water flow discharge is the volume of water that moves through a specific point in a body of water per unit time. It is typically measured in cubic feet per second (cfs) or cubic meters per second (cms).

What factors affect water flow discharge?

The main factors that affect water flow discharge include the slope of the land, the size and shape of the channel, the amount of water in the channel, and the roughness of the channel's surface.

How is water flow discharge measured?

Water flow discharge can be measured using various methods such as current meters, acoustic Doppler current profilers (ADCPs), and stream gauges. These instruments measure the velocity of the water and the area of the channel to calculate the discharge.

How does water flow discharge impact ecosystems?

Water flow discharge plays a crucial role in the health and functioning of aquatic ecosystems. It affects the distribution of nutrients, the movement of sediment, and the diversity and abundance of aquatic organisms. Changes in water flow discharge can have significant impacts on the overall balance of an ecosystem.

What are the practical applications of understanding water flow discharge?

Understanding water flow discharge is essential for many practical applications, including flood forecasting, water resource management, and the design of hydraulic structures such as dams and bridges. It also has implications for activities such as fishing, boating, and irrigation.