Solve Water Flow in Pipes: Pressure on 2nd Floor

If you knew the area, then you could find the mass, right?In summary, the water flow in pipes problem involves a closed system of pipes in a two floor apartment. The water has a gauge pressure of 3.4 x 10^5 Pa and a speed of 2.1 m/s on the first floor, and a speed of 3.7m/s on the second floor, which is 4.0m higher. The difference in speed is due to the different pipe diameters. Using Bernoulli's equation, the gauge pressure of the water on the second floor can be calculated.
skier07
[SOLVED] Water flow in pipes

Homework Statement

Water is circulating through a closed system of pipes in a two floor apartment. On the first floor, the water has a gauge pressure of 3.4 x 10^5 Pa and a speed of 2.1 m/s. However, on the second floor, which is 4.0m higher, the speed of the water is 3.7m/s. The speeds are different because the pipe diameters are different. What is the gauge pressure of the water on the second floor?

Homework Equations

A1V1 = A2V2

P1 - .5(rho)(v1)^2 + (rho)gy1 = P2 + .5(rho)gy2

Efinal = Einitial
KEfinal + PE final = KEinitial + PE initial

Wnc = E1 - E2 = (.5mv1^2 + mgy1) - (.5mv2^2 + mgy2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Use Bernoulli's equation to solve it. You have what you need.

It doesn't matter that the Area changes?..also, I don't know what rho is? do I just use the standard rho of water?

They've already given you all the information you need. If they asked "find the area of the upper tube" then you would care about the fact that the two velocities are different.

what about rho though?

You know, or should know, the density of water.

1. What is the cause of low water pressure on the 2nd floor?

Low water pressure on the 2nd floor can be caused by a number of factors, including clogged pipes, malfunctioning valves, or inadequate pipe size. It can also be caused by a decrease in water pressure from the main water supply.

2. How can I increase water pressure on the 2nd floor?

To increase water pressure on the 2nd floor, you can try adjusting the pressure regulator valve, installing a booster pump, or replacing old or clogged pipes. It may also be helpful to check for any leaks in the plumbing system.

3. Can the water pressure on the 2nd floor affect the performance of my appliances?

Yes, low water pressure on the 2nd floor can affect the performance of appliances such as washing machines, dishwashers, and showers. It can lead to longer washing and cleaning times, as well as inadequate rinsing of soap and detergent.

4. How do I calculate the required pipe size for proper water flow on the 2nd floor?

The required pipe size for proper water flow on the 2nd floor can be calculated using the water flow rate, pipe length, and desired pressure. This calculation can be done using various online pipe size calculators or by consulting a professional plumber.

5. What are some signs of a water flow problem on the 2nd floor?

Signs of a water flow problem on the 2nd floor may include slow water flow from faucets, fluctuating water pressure, or unusual noises coming from the plumbing system. Additionally, if appliances are not functioning properly or if there is visible water damage, it may be a sign of a water flow issue.