Water Flow in Free Fall: Observing the Equivalence Principle

• Thread starter canada747
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hole Water
In summary, when a container full of water with a small hole is dropped down a mine shaft in free fall, the water flow appears to curve upward from the perspective of an observer at the bottom of the mine due to the equivalence principle of general relativity.
canada747

Homework Statement

When a container full of water with a small hole in the side is at rest on a table, water flows out of the hole and follows an approximately parabolic arc before hitting the table. Suppose the same container is dropped down a mine shaft so that it is in free fall. Air resistance is negligible. As viewed by an observer standing at the bottom of the mine, the water flow:

a) diminishes
b) stops all together
c) travels in a horizontal straight line
d) curves upward
e) curves downward

Homework Equations

Fg = mg

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe the answer is d), because the water in the cup will be moving down with the cup, and will only release as much water as it would if it wasn't falling. That said, water flowing down would flow up from the perspective of the observer at the bottom of the mine, right?

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is the cause of water flowing out of a hole?

Water flowing out of a hole is typically caused by a difference in pressure between the water inside the hole and the surrounding area. This pressure difference can be created by a variety of factors, such as gravity, changes in elevation, or artificial pumping systems.

2. Can water flow out of a hole without any external influence?

No, water cannot flow out of a hole without some external influence. As mentioned before, a pressure difference is necessary for water to flow out of a hole, and this difference is usually created by an external force, such as gravity or a pumping system.

3. Why does water flow out of a hole at a constant rate?

Water flowing out of a hole will typically maintain a constant rate due to the principle of continuity. This principle states that the volume of water entering a system must equal the volume of water leaving the system. Therefore, as long as the pressure difference and size of the hole remain constant, the rate of water flow will also remain constant.

4. How does the size of the hole affect the rate of water flow?

The size of the hole can have a significant impact on the rate of water flow. Generally, a larger hole will allow for a higher volume of water to flow out, resulting in a faster rate of flow. However, other factors such as the shape of the hole and the pressure difference can also affect the rate of flow.

5. Can water flow out of a hole in any direction?

In most cases, water can flow out of a hole in any direction. However, the direction of flow will depend on the location and shape of the hole, as well as the surrounding terrain and any external forces acting on the water. For example, if the hole is at the bottom of a container, the water will typically flow out in a downward direction due to the force of gravity.