Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Water force through weight

1. Jun 29, 2015 #1
    Hi All,
    If I have a tank 1meter dia 5metres height and a tank 200mm dia (1/5 size ) 5metres high
    and I have a horizontal tap at the bottom of each. when I open the taps will I get more distance
    of water from the bigger tank.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 29, 2015 #2

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

Have you tried figuring out the pressure? (Force/ unit area) If the pressures are the same, then you will get the same, if one is larger, it will shoot the water further out of the tap.

4. Jun 29, 2015 #3
    Hi BiGyElLoWhAt, (some handle that)
    I have been interested in a design feature.
    Thanks for clarifying a discussion I've had lately .
    I had been told the water would shoot out the same distance.

5. Jun 29, 2015 #4

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

That very well may be, but I wouldn't be so sure without making the calculation. If you look at a cross section of the water, then the pressure on the water below it would be the weight of the water above that cross section divided by the area (pi*r^2).

If you're looking at something of the order of 200mm diameter, then the adhesive properties of water would become non-negligible, in my opinion.

6. Jun 29, 2015 #5
    That's a helpful answer.

And that's not. Pressure in a tank is only dependent on depth, not the size or shape of the tank.

And that's just irrelevant.

Perhaps the best answer is: look up Torricelli's Law.

7. Jun 29, 2015 #6

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

I understand that the cross section divides out from the volume, giving a depth dependant function. My purpose was to get the OP to do the calculation and figure it out. Good Job.

8. Jun 29, 2015 #7

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

Also, adhesion is not irrelevant for small enough containers.

9. Jun 29, 2015 #8

DaveC426913

Gold Member

That's an 8-inch diameter cylinder. Water adhesion might be relevant to the OP's education, but surely not to this application.

10. Jun 29, 2015 #9

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

Very true. Not sure how I grossly underestimated that, but...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook