Calculating Water Friction for Dropped Objects

In summary, the conversation discusses how to take into account water friction when calculating the acceleration of an object dropped into water. The link provided explains the concept of drag in a fluid and provides an equation for calculating it. The conversation also mentions using the average velocity to find the drag force, but notes that it may depend on the desired approach.
waterfriction
In my current scenario, I have something that was dropped from above water. I have found the theoretical acceleration of the object when it is under water (it had entered the water with some initial downward velocity) already from boyancy - weight = ma. However, in reality that acceleration is going to be smaller because of water friction. How do I take into account water friction? I know it can't be u*N which is what friction is on land.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Try http://www.hypertextbook.com/physics/matter/drag/" (it has a reasonable explanation). Just remember the problem with drag in a fluid is not as easy as you might think.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the link. How can I use the value of drag though? What equation can I use to then find out the increase in time drag creates over an ideal fluid or the lessening in velocity?

Well for all purposes you can use [itex] F_{drag} = C_{drag} \frac{\rho v^{2}}{2} A [/itex] as long as you keep small speeds, therefore there will be a small Reynolds number (laminar flow). A is surface area, and [itex] C_{drag} = \frac{24}{N_{reynolds}} [/itex] in this case.

Last edited:
Thanks again. I'm assume that the best way to find the F drag with a changing velocity is to take the average and use that as v, right?

Well it depends on your approach. Do you want a variable or constant acceleration?, if its the former then you'll need to solve the differential equation, for the later you could use the average velocity.

1. What is water friction?

Water friction is the resistance or drag force that occurs when an object moves through water. It is caused by the interaction between the moving object and the water molecules.

2. How is water friction calculated for dropped objects?

Water friction for dropped objects can be calculated using the formula F = ½ρCv²A, where F is the drag force, ρ is the density of the water, C is the drag coefficient, v is the velocity of the object, and A is the cross-sectional area of the object.

3. What factors can affect water friction for dropped objects?

The factors that can affect water friction for dropped objects include the shape and size of the object, the density and viscosity of the water, and the velocity and acceleration of the object.

4. How does water friction impact the motion of dropped objects?

Water friction can slow down the motion of dropped objects due to the drag force. This means that the object will experience a decrease in velocity and acceleration as it moves through the water.

5. Can water friction be reduced for dropped objects?

Yes, water friction can be reduced for dropped objects by changing the shape or size of the object, or by using a lubricant to decrease the interaction between the object and water molecules. Additionally, increasing the velocity of the object can also help reduce water friction.