Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Water heater technology sucks

1. Jul 29, 2009 #1
    2 years, 2 different kinds of water heaters, 2 flooded apartments.

Last time I was fortunate enough that all the leakage went out the door, but when it happened two days ago it flooded my bedroom and closet during the night. Yeah, that was fun...I step out of bed onto the carpet, squish...what the hell? who peed on the rug? wait..it's everywhere...

Basically, whoever is out there designing water heaters, I don't know who you are, but I'm not impressed.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2009 #2
    maybe it's the water there. or the wiring? isn't there some kind of anode you can replace?

4. Jul 29, 2009 #3

negitron

Science Advisor

I've never had a single water heater failure in 44 years.

5. Jul 29, 2009 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't know if this applies to your situation or not, but the rate of failure for new products is ridiculous these days.

Just out of curiosity, where was it made?

6. Jul 29, 2009 #5
    Once in the building I was living in in Paris, firemen came in at 6am. They broke in a window on the wall next to mine. We are told a water heater fell, broke the water pipe, and the flood has been continuous over night. The neighbors downstairs noticed it in the morning, the ones upstairs are absent. Meanwhile, the fireman comes out of the window and shouts to the crew chief "It comes from above"...

7. Jul 29, 2009 #6

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

They don't make 'em where they used to.

8. Jul 29, 2009 #7
    It's a RheemGlas Fury

9. Jul 29, 2009 #8

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wow...:surprised...nice wake-up call!

10. Jul 29, 2009 #9
    I hope they were at least smashing windows according to a binary search rather than a linear one

11. Jul 29, 2009 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Made in...? I was just curious if they are still made in the US.

12. Jul 29, 2009 #11
    Made in Mexico....well that explains it

13. Jul 29, 2009 #12

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's just about the highest quality heater there is. I have one as the heat exchange unit for my solar water system. This specific unit was required in order for the entire system to be certified because no other tank met its quality. Exactly where is water leaking from the tank? Seems that the flaw is more likely to be in the person who connected the heater.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook