1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Water heater warms 137 kg water from 20C to 45 C in 16 min. - Heating element resist?

1. Apr 1, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A well-insulated electric water heater warms 137 kg of water from 20°C to 45.0°C in 16.0 min. Find the resistance of its heating element, which is connected across 220-V potential difference.

2. Relevant equations
    R=V/I

3. The attempt at a solution
    Not sure how to approach this one. Should I refer to a calorimetry approach along with electrical relations? How might I start this one?

Any help/hints would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2009 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Water heater warms 137 kg water from 20C to 45 C in 16 min. - Heating element res

There is also an equation that relates the power to the voltage V and the resistance R.
    On the other hand, you should be able to calculate the power from the given data.

4. Apr 1, 2009 #3
    Re: Water heater warms 137 kg water from 20C to 45 C in 16 min. - Heating element res

Gotcha. Thanks for the hint. Looks like Q = mc delta T works great for calculating necessary heat to heat the water while v squared over R multiplied by time (in seconds) equals the heat generated by potential and resistance over time.

I appreciate your time in providing the hint.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook