Water Heating Transfer System - Power Requirements

In summary, the conversation discusses a water system containing 200 liters of water, with 20 vertically stacked tubes connected to each other and heated by a quartz infrared heater placed underneath. The goal is to maintain a temperature between 30-35°C and the question is how much power is needed for this system. Factors such as the system's location, insulation, and circulation are important in determining the necessary power.
Psionic86
Hello,

its my first post here, I had physics long time ago and now composing a system which need some (only probably) calculation.

I have a water system containing 200 litres of water, its all in tube system which is vertically stacked, each tube have capacity of 10 litres, so there's 20 glass (thickness 3mm, diameter 50mm, length 150cm (60 inches)) tubes with water, connected with each other so it can circulate thans to heat in the bottom. Theres a condition to hold temperature of the water between 30-35°C (86-95F).
I am planning to do it with quartz infrared heater placed underneath (about at least 30 cm under first tube in order to prevent overheating of first tubes near it, there will be life in it!), the quartz heater will be one rod of approx length 50 inches so it nearly covers length of tubes.

The question is, how much power do I need to hold temperature?
In aqaurium, its said that 300W is enough for 200litres, but aquarium heaters are placed in the water, in our case we are using air as a heater medium. I am pretending the target is somewhere between 300 and 700Watts.

If its difficult to imagine whole system I will add picture of it.

Thanks for insights,
V.

Science news on Phys.org
Hello and welcome to PF

The temperature that a system will settle down to ('equilibrium temperature') will be reached when the rate of heat supplied is balanced by the rate that heat is lost. So you haven't told us enough about your system for an answer yet.

If it is all in an insulated box then a very few watts will be needed, if outdoors in winter, you will need a lot. Is it in a normal room? How fast do you want the system to warm up at switch-on? Do you plan to circulate water around the tubes? That would ensure that the temperatures are all kept the same as the radiant heat is bound to heat the nearest tubes much more than the furthest tubes.

thanks for pointing it up, the system will not be closed and it will be placed indoors, so let's say in room temperature about 20°C.
No need for fast heating, heater just simulate natural conditions and temperature will be cycled in 12/12 or 16/8 hours on/off when shut down temperature will drop to room temperature, so it won't matter if heating process to 35°C will take one hour or two hours, its important to hold it then for following 12 hours or so..
The water should circulate at a small rate, that was a hidden second question, if every tube is connected with upper one and top tube leads down to bottom one, will the water circulate on its own (if the heater will be nearer to connection with upper tube)?

I am including a simplified picture how I mean it (sorry for my drawing skills, it was done in hurry in ms paint:), please note there will be at least 20 tubes.

V.

Attachments

• heater.png
    heater.png
    1.1 KB · Views: 429

1. What is a water heating transfer system and how does it work?

A water heating transfer system is a system that transfers heat from a source, such as a boiler or solar panels, to a tank of water for heating purposes. It works by circulating hot water from the source through a series of pipes or coils that are immersed in the water tank, heating the water as it passes through.

2. How do I determine the power requirements for a water heating transfer system?

The power requirements for a water heating transfer system depend on several factors, including the volume of water that needs to be heated, the desired temperature rise, and the efficiency of the system. A general rule of thumb is to use 10 watts of power for every gallon of water to be heated by 1 degree Fahrenheit.

3. What are the benefits of using a water heating transfer system?

There are several benefits to using a water heating transfer system, including energy efficiency, cost savings, and environmental friendliness. These systems use renewable energy sources, such as solar or geothermal, to heat the water, reducing reliance on non-renewable resources and lowering utility costs.

4. How can I improve the power efficiency of my water heating transfer system?

To improve the power efficiency of your system, you can consider adding insulation to the water tank, using a timer to control when the system operates, and ensuring that the system is properly sized for your specific needs. Regular maintenance and upkeep can also help to improve efficiency and prolong the lifespan of your system.

5. Are there any safety concerns to be aware of with a water heating transfer system?

While water heating transfer systems are generally considered safe, it is important to have the system installed and maintained by a qualified professional to ensure proper operation and prevent potential hazards. It is also important to follow all safety guidelines and precautions when using and maintaining the system, such as avoiding contact with hot surfaces and keeping the area around the system clear of any obstructions.