1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Water in a magnetic field

1. Aug 28, 2012 #1
    How exactly does water behave in a magnetic field? I've seen pictures of a boat that uses electromagnetic rail technology to move across water, but I still don't fully grasp it.

Also, does this behavior change when temperatures rise or fall?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2012 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Hi jWald. http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/5826/rotwel.gif [Broken]

Magnetohydrodynamics? It involves passing a lot of current through sea water in the presence of a strong magnetic field. So having a nuclear reactor aboard your ship to supply all that electricity is practically essential. Google it and you'll find as much information as you can handle.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  4. Aug 28, 2012 #3
    I don't think that water is affected by magnetic fields- it would have to be ionized, or polarized.

5. Aug 28, 2012 #4
    What about salt water?

6. Aug 28, 2012 #5
    Seawater is always heavily ionized. If you send a current through the water, a magnetic field can excert a force on it.

7. Aug 28, 2012 #6
    And the reaction force could cause the type of propulsion the OP was wondering about?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook