1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Water Jet Reaction Force

1. Oct 21, 2015 #1
    Hi all,

my first post on here and just wanted to check something I'm working on for a project.

The project is to use a pump to create a jet of water to manouvre small boat.

I have found a formula to work out the jet reaction force in a fire fighting text book which gives:

R = 0.157 * P * d^2 where R = Reaction force in Newtons
    P = Pressure in bar
    d = nozzle diameter in mm

To avoid buying and testing different pumps and nozzles empirically to find the best reaction force I wanted to link a given pumps flow and pressure to find nozzle diameter and then using this and the pressure and the above formula to get the reaction force.

I have been using

L = 2/3 * d^2 * sqrt P where L = flow l/min
    d = nozzle diameter in mm
    P = pressure in bar

re-arranged to give

d = sqrt (L/ (2/3 * sqrt P))

this gives d in mm then putting this and the same pressure back into the above reaction formula to get reaction in Newtons.

as an example:

a pump giving P = 1.52 bar
    Q = 450 l/min

d = sqrt (450/ (2/3 * sqrt 1.52))
    = 23.4 mm

then

R = 0.157 * P * d^2
    = 0.157 *1.52 *23.4^2
    =130 N

Questions:

Are the formulas i'm using valid? If so could someone show me how to get to them from first principles or just tell me they're ok :) If not then why?

Other losses: I have thought about losses due to pipe work friction but if the nozzle is underwater what sort of losses could I expect due to reduced flow because of higher pressure at/just after outlet

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2015 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF acebaraka!

You could try using: F = dp/dt = d(mv)/dt = v(dm/dt) + m(dv/dt). If the speed of the water jet is constant (ie. dv/dt=0), the force is given by f = v(dm/dt) where v is the speed of the water exiting the nozzle and dm/dt is the mass flow rate out of the nozzle. The mass flow rate is the volume flow rate x mass/unit volume of water (1 kg/l).

You can determine the speed of the water using Bernoulli's principle: ##\Delta \frac{1}{2}\rho v^2 = -\Delta P## (the change in kinetic energy per unit volume is equal and opposite to the change in pressure).

AM

4. Oct 21, 2015 #3
    Thanks for your reply, do I have this right ?

delta P would be:

system pressure at or just before the nozzle - (for the sake of ease at the moment) atmospheric pressure

which would be 1.52bar but in SI

so SqRt (P / (0.5*density)) would give v

so
    v = SqRt (152000 / (0.5*1000))
    =17.43 m/s

Then

F= v * (dm/dt) for 450l/min (dm/dt) = 450/60 = 7.5 kg/s
    = 17.43 * 7.5
    = 130N

which rather wonderfully comes out to the same as what I had with the other equation, to good to be true? :)

5. Oct 21, 2015 #4

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not at all. I expect that the formulas you had were derived the same way.

AM

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook