Water level measurement how?

In summary, to measure the water level at two positions in a tank, you can use a float switch. These switches have a mercury tilt switch or accelerometer inside that turns on or off at a certain angle. They are more reliable than bare wire conduction sensors and can be found at plumbing supply stores. For the second position, you can either use a float switch with an analogue output, two float switches set at different levels, or a Liquiphant level switch. The Liquiphant has two vibrating paddles that trigger a signal when submerged in liquid. Another option is to use a couple of float switches, with one set to connect and the other to disconnect at a certain height.
User Name1
I want to measure level of water at two positions in tank. How to measure it?

|-----|_> here &
| ----|_ >here
|____|
Fig. Tank

when water level reach to certain levels(1,2) o/p voltage should be generated. I hav to connect it to 24 V DC PLC i/p.

I need simple and easy solution.
PLZ help me.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
User Name1 said:
I want to measure level of water at two positions in tank. How to measure it?

|-----|_> here &
| ----|_ >here
|____|
Fig. Tank

when water level reach to certain levels(1,2) o/p voltage should be generated. I hav to connect it to 24 V DC PLC i/p.

I need simple and easy solution.
PLZ help me.

Use a float switch.

CS

thanx for reply. I havn't seen a float switch before. How does it work?

this is what the prob. is
there are three tanks 1,2,3
water from tank 1 and 2 come in tank 3
i want water from tank 1 should be shut off(i. e. o/p signal should be genrated which will be given to valve of tank 1) after reaching certain level in tank 3.
Same thing for tank 2.Will this ckt shown work for me?

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/366/watermx3.th.jpg I found on this
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=68527if yes then please expain how

Last edited by a moderator:
Float switches are just like the float that turns off the water filling your toilet. they either have a mercury tilt switch inside or more likely these days an accelerometer. The gas level gauge in your car is similair.
The connection is on at some angle and off at an other - you just adjust how it is mounted to turn on/off at the desired level.

The trouble with the bare wires conduction sensor discussed in the other thread is that they are vunerable to the electrodes corroding or getting covered in some insulating gunk in an industrial process. Float switches are sealed and a lot more reliable

Lots of plumbing supply places sell float switches, they are used to run sump pumps.

I hav to measure level of water at two positions.
for first position Float switch will do it.
But what abt 2nd position?

tank 1 tank 2
|-----| |-----|
| ----| | ----|
|____| |____|

| |
|-----|_> pos. 2
| ----|_ > pos. 1
|____|
tank 3

the water from tank 1 going in tank 3 can shut off by using one Float switch but what abt water coming from tank 2 going in tank 3?

Last edited:
You can either have a float with an analogue output (like a gas tank gauge) and detect two outputs with some extra circuitry.
Or you can have two float switches set for different levels = easiest.
Or somebody might make a float switch that sets two different outputs at two different levels (I don't know of one).

You could a Liquiphant level switch, depending on what you want the swithc to do it will send a 24v signal through the switch wire to a relay,PLC o whatever you have set up.

The Liquiphant has basically two paddle/prong arrangements that vibrate at a certain frequency, as soon as they are submerged by a liquid the change in vibration frequency is detected and a signal is made which can be wired into anything.

I'd use two of those sensors

1. How is the water level measured?

The water level is measured using different techniques such as using a float, a pressure sensor, or a radar sensor. These methods involve measuring the distance between the water surface and a reference point.

2. What is the most accurate way to measure water level?

The most accurate way to measure water level depends on the specific application. For small bodies of water or water tanks, using a float or a pressure sensor may be more accurate. For larger bodies of water, a radar sensor may be more accurate as it can measure the water level from a distance.

3. Can water level be measured remotely?

Yes, water level can be measured remotely using a radar sensor or a water level sensor connected to a remote monitoring system. This allows for real-time monitoring of water levels without the need for manual measurements.

4. How often should water level be measured?

The frequency of water level measurements depends on the purpose of the measurement. For monitoring purposes, it is recommended to measure water level at least once a day. For more critical applications, such as flood warning systems, measurements may need to be taken every few minutes.

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of water level measurements?

The accuracy of water level measurements can be affected by various factors such as temperature, water density, and the type of sensor used. It is important to regularly calibrate the sensor to ensure accurate readings. Environmental factors such as wind and waves can also affect the accuracy of measurements in open bodies of water.