Designing Powerful Water Guns for Distance Propulsion

In summary, a water gun can be powered using compressed air, 100-200psi, and a 1/4" minimum nozzle constriction. The nozzle taper leads up to the constriction and there are benefits to more or less taper. The optimal nozzle diameter is relative to the tank's size and the speed of the liquid.
Midnightblue69
Good morning, I always walk on egg shells posting what is probably a redundant question on a forum. I have been reading for two days and there is a ton of physics information out there on the subject but most of it doesn't truly address the mechanics of what I am looking for.

In a very simplified explanation, I am wanting to build a powerful water gun. In the end I am wanting to propel more viscous liquids than water but for R&D I am sticking to water. The end goal and this is my entire forcus at the moment is to be able to put a stream of water as far away as I can. For where I am at I am using 2" diameter DOM tubing for a tank, either a piston or bladder to apply pressure using 100-200psi compressed air and roughly a 1/4" minimum nozzle constriction. What would my nozzle look like? Again my primary concern is how far I can make the water reach. Am I correct in thinking that a bigger diameter tank would equate to more pressure/distance? One of my big questions is nozzle taper leading up to the constriction, what are the benefits of more or less taper hence nozzle length as it relates to water distance? Would I get significantly more distance decreasing my constriction orifice? Is there an ideal diameter in relation to my tank. I know there is an encyclopedia of science relating to most factors here but I'm relly needing nuts and bolts answers with it to help wrap my head around the subject for visualization. I know there are many other variables that affect the end product such as tank/nozzle resistance, air density and a host of others but those things being constant, I want to focus on nozzle design and sheer distance Much thanks!

-BTW my end goal is to build a device to propel liquid scents into areas for animal research without disrupting the area with human scents, specifically we have a family of spotted skunks in my part of Virgina that is extremely rare and I want to get as much trail video as I can before hard winter sets in, I also have a machine shop so I have a fair amount of latitude in design, either steel or PVC

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No matter how you start the liquid moving, the distance it will reach depends on the speed with which it is moving and how quickly it loses that speed due to air resistance. Fast-moving liquids tend to lose energy into the air very quickly (there's a reason why firefighters try to get their hoses as close to the fire as possible, and it's not because they enjoy risking their lives).

I find myself wondering if you shouldn't be considering a ballistic projectile approach instead - think water balloon, or because you have a machine shop, thin-walled containers that will rupture on impact.

(BTW, thank you for telling us why you wanted to solve this problem - makes for a much more productive discussion).

Hi Nugatory, TY for the response! I'd contemplated a projectile and to keep them delicate they have challenges all their own. The relationship between launching force and impact force are usually not that far off, getting one to reliably break apart on impact yet yet not break when launched is tough. Kinda like the egg toss. I'm very confident it could be done but in the interest of simple and reliable I wanted to try a precharged liquid launch. I have a hand held pneumatic golf ball cannon I built and I adapted that to use the 50g Co2 cartridges when I'm not at a compressor, I was contemplating an adaptation of something like it. A scaled down firehose is actually what I've been picturing, just using a rigid pipe instead. If I could make a proportional model, I'd be very happy. Might run down to the firehouse with calipers and pin blocks LOL

1. How does the design of a water gun affect its distance propulsion?

The design of a water gun can greatly impact its distance propulsion. Factors such as the shape and size of the barrel, the amount of water released per pump, and the pressure generated by the pump all play a role in determining how far the water will travel.

2. What materials are best for creating a powerful water gun?

The most effective materials for a water gun are those that can withstand high pressure and are lightweight. Some commonly used materials include PVC pipes, plastic bottles, and rubber tubing. It is also important to choose materials that are easy to work with and can be easily assembled into the desired design.

3. How can I increase the pressure of my water gun for greater distance?

There are a few ways to increase the pressure of a water gun. One method is to use a larger pump or increase the number of pumps per shot. Another option is to create a tighter seal between the pump and the water container to prevent any leaks. Additionally, using a smaller nozzle on the gun can also help increase the pressure and therefore the distance of the water propulsion.

4. Are there any safety precautions to consider when designing a water gun?

Yes, safety should always be a top priority when designing a water gun. It is important to carefully choose materials that are safe for handling and avoid using materials that may shatter or cause harm if the gun were to malfunction. Additionally, it is important to test the water gun in a safe and controlled environment and always wear protective gear when operating the gun.

5. Can a water gun be designed to shoot other objects besides water?

While water is the most common projectile used in water guns, it is possible to design a water gun to shoot other objects such as foam balls or paintballs. However, it is important to consider the safety implications of shooting these objects and ensure that the gun is designed to handle the added weight and pressure of the alternative projectiles.