Can a Tesla Turbine Improve Paddling Efficiency on a Kayak?

In summary, the conversation revolved around the potential use of a Tesla turbine on a kayak as a lightweight engine powered by the flow of water. It was mentioned that while a Tesla turbine can reach up to 95% efficiency, it may not be practical for this purpose as it would require more energy to paddle against the current than the energy generated. The idea of using the turbine to charge a battery was also brought up. It was suggested that compressed air may not be a feasible option for energy storage and a car battery with a trolling motor may be a better alternative. The conversation also mentioned a Yahoo group for those interested in Tesla turbines.
Dyte
Hi geniuses,

I have a question about a Tesla turbine.
I'm brainstorming about using a small one as a leightweight "engine" on a kayak, using the flow of the water as energy source.
First of all, I do realize that this won't run on its own in a perpetual motion style.
But my question is, will this help in any way or ease the paddling, or will it just do nothing whatsoever?

Thanks for your time!

Physics news on Phys.org
what's a tesla turbine?

ok, so from what I've read the max efficiency obtainable from a tesla turbine is 95% under perfect conditions. That means a 5 % loss of energy. It may be useful if you were paddling against a current or if you had a way to generate a flow through the turbine without work from yourself, otherwise if you have to paddle to get the flow, the efficiency makes it redundant. In other words, you'd have to put more energy in than you'd get out.

also, adding an impeller or propeller to turn the energy created from the turbine into energy that will give your kayak motion will add drag when you are paddling, which would make things harder than they are now. If you could mount it like an outboard motor that can be lifted out of the water while getting up to speed and then put in the water to be used for propulsion, that woud help. Bear in mind you'll also be adding more weight to your canoe that you'll hae to lug around.

You could use it for charging a battery maybe for lights during night time fishing trips or a radio (or charger for your ipodski) if that's useful.

Thanks for the insights.
It appears that this isn't be the way to go after all.

I was also considering compressed air, but I have no idea how long a bottle (of say one liter) will last. It won't be feasible to haul around 20 pounds of air if it will only last one hour :-).

However, great idea to use it for recharging! I'm new to this so for the most part I'm still groping in the dark but I'm going to dive into it right away.

Thanks

Unfortunately, air tanks are not a very efficient way to store energy. You'd be better off with a car battery and a trolling motor.

1. How does a water powered Tesla turbine work?

The water powered Tesla turbine works by utilizing the force of water to rotate a series of discs, which are connected to a central shaft. As the water flows through the discs, it creates a vortex and causes the discs to spin, which in turn rotates the central shaft. This rotational energy can then be harnessed to generate electricity or power mechanical devices.

2. What are the advantages of using a Tesla turbine powered by water?

There are several advantages to using a water powered Tesla turbine. Firstly, it is a renewable and sustainable source of energy, as water is constantly replenished through the hydrologic cycle. Additionally, water turbines do not produce any emissions or pollution, making them environmentally friendly. They also have a high efficiency rate and can be used in a variety of settings, including remote locations.

3. Are there any limitations to using a water powered Tesla turbine?

While water powered Tesla turbines have many advantages, there are also some limitations to consider. They are highly dependent on the availability of water, so they may not be suitable in areas with low water supply. They also require regular maintenance to ensure optimal performance and may be more expensive to install compared to other renewable energy sources.

4. Can a water powered Tesla turbine be used in homes?

Yes, water powered Tesla turbines can be used in homes to generate electricity. However, they are most commonly used in large scale power generation, such as in hydroelectric power plants. In homes, they may be more suitable for off-grid living or in areas with a consistent water supply, such as near a river or stream.

5. What are the potential future developments for water powered Tesla turbines?

There are ongoing research and development efforts to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of water powered Tesla turbines. Some potential future developments include using the turbines in combination with solar or wind power to create hybrid renewable energy systems, as well as developing smaller and more compact turbines for use in residential settings. Additionally, advancements in materials and design may lead to more efficient and affordable water powered Tesla turbines in the future.