Can water pressure really equal 200 tons of dynamite?

In summary, the Washington Post quotes highly pressurized water transmission lines as being capable of exploding with the force of 200 tons of dynamite. However, it is unlikely that the pipes would actually cause an explosion of that magnitude, as they are typically used for carrying drinking water and operate at lower pressures. This information was originally sourced from a Russian hydro facility that suffered damage from a mismanaged water flow, but is likely exaggerated for the purpose of promoting a setback from the pipes.
Larry Heflin
Washington Post quotes water transmission lines
"highly pressurized pipes that can explode with the force of 200 tons of dynamite"
have they dropped a decimal point here?
Thats a lot of dynamite!

It's been years since I've tried such calculations and now couldn't even try...

Engineering news on Phys.org
Journalists and numbers don't mix well, in my experience. That's why they became journalists in the first place.

What is the context of the "pressurized pipes"?

Carrying drinking water: up to about 77" diameter. Buried, usually beneath streets and sometimes in tunnels in soil or in rock up to some 150' deep. Mostly reinforce4d concrete: rarely steel. Pumped to water-towers and distribution.

There is a video of a Russian hydro facility that was devastated by exploding pipes because the operator mismanaged the water flow to the turbines. The damage did not seem that far out of line with hundreds of tons of dynamite. See:

Last edited by a moderator:
It would surprise me if aqueducts operated at anywhere close to the pressure of a hydro plant, but even if they did, it would be tough to characterize the rupture as an "explosion". More like a flash flood.

I once actually heard an explosion estimated at about 15 tons of TNT = 12 tons of dynamite. I was 20 miles away from where it happened and working underneath my car at the time. The bang was lound enough that people came out of the house, thinking the car had fallen off the ramp on top of me or something similar.

I don't think a failed dam would come anywhere near that sort of "explision", let alone 200 tons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flixborough_disaster

Do you happen to have any pump information? From the info you've given me we can only determine the hydrostatic portion. If you had the power output we would have a rough estimate of the operating pressure.

Thanks...but this is a quote from a facilities report...later quoted in the Washington Post...which I suspect is overblown (?) to excite the populace and politicians to require a setback from the pipes. I suspect a setback from a two hundred ton explosion would be unnecessarily costly.

What is water pressure?

Water pressure is the force exerted by water on an object or surface. It is caused by the weight of the water above that object or surface.

How is water pressure measured?

Water pressure is typically measured in pounds per square inch (psi) or in kilopascals (kPa). This measurement is usually taken with a pressure gauge.

What is the relationship between water pressure and dynamite?

Water pressure and dynamite are not directly related. Dynamite is an explosive material that releases energy in the form of heat, light, and shock waves when detonated. Water pressure does not have the same effect as dynamite.

Can water pressure be dangerous?

Water pressure can be dangerous if it exceeds the structural limitations of objects or surfaces. For example, high water pressure can cause pipes to burst or weaken structures such as dams.

How can water pressure be controlled or regulated?

Water pressure can be controlled and regulated through various methods, including pressure reducing valves, pressure tanks, and pressure relief valves. These devices can adjust the flow and pressure of water to maintain safe levels.