1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Water pressure help

1. May 30, 2006 #1
    If there is anyone out there that can answer this it would be greatly appreciated. I am stuck with this one.

At normal pressure of its own weight how can I determin the water pressure of water coming out of a 3/8ths in. nozzle out of a 250 gallon tank?

2. jcsd
  3. May 30, 2006 #2
    i think that it would depend on how tall the tank is. but i am not sure of the equasioons to figure it out. i am no expert and am probably missing something.

4. May 31, 2006 #3

rcgldr

Homework Helper

Nozzle size doesn't matter. Initially you get about 1 atm (14.7psi) of pressure for every 33 feet of height, which holds until the pressure starts to significantly compress the water, but this would require a very tall tank.

5. May 31, 2006 #4
    Nozzle diameter doesnt affect the pressure, but it does affect the exit speed of the water. The pressure is only a function of the water level height above the nozzle (p=ro*g*h).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook