How Does Water Pressure Change with Depth?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a bottle containing air, a watertight piston, and a body of water with a uniform temperature. The volume of air in the bottle is affected by the pressure of water at different depths and the buoyant force on the bottle can be calculated using Archimedes' principle. The air is treated as an ideal gas and the volume of the bottle itself is assumed to be negligible. The conversation also mentions using the ideal gas law to find the volume of air at different pressures and confirms a calculation using the ratio of initial and final pressures.
brad sue
Hi,
I am lost with this problem.

A bottle containig air is closed with a watertight yet smoothly moving piston. The bottle with its air has a total mass of 0.30kg. At the surface of a body of water whose temperature is a uniform 285 K throughout, the volume of air contained in the bottle is 1.5L.
Recall that the pressure of water increases with depth below the surface, D, as p=po+ρ *g*D, where po is the surface pressure and ρ=1.0 kg/L.
The bottle is submerged.
a- What is the volume of the air in the bottle as a function of depth?
b- Calculate the buoyant force on the bottle as a function of depth?

There are other questions but I need to understand these ones first.
There a picture but if you need it , I will try to draw it.
thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
brad sue said:
a- What is the volume of the air in the bottle as a function of depth?
Treat the air as an ideal gas. Start by figuring out the volume of air as function of pressure.
b- Calculate the buoyant force on the bottle as a function of depth?
How does the buoyant force on an object depend on the object's volume? (What is Archimedes' principle?)

This starting situation is at the surface of Earth,
with Pressure = 1 atm = 101,000 N/m^2 .
You'll have to find out how much of this 0.3 kg is air,
and how much of it is glass (the glass does not compress).

lightgrav said:
You'll have to find out how much of this 0.3 kg is air,
and how much of it is glass
I wouldn't bother trying to do that: It will be easier to just treat the air in terms of its volume (which is given at the surface), and assume that the volume of the bottle itself can be neglected.

Doc Al said:
Treat the air as an ideal gas. Start by figuring out the volume of air as function of pressure.
How does the buoyant force on an object depend on the object's volume? (What is Archimedes' principle?)
OK, If I use :
PV=nRT and Po*Vo=nRT.
then I take the ratio PV/Po*Vo which is 1
I found:
V=Vo*Po/P
Am I right?

Looks good to me. :smile:

What is water pressure?

Water pressure is the force exerted by water on an object or surface. It is typically measured in units of pounds per square inch (psi) or newtons per square meter (N/m²).

How is water pressure calculated?

Water pressure is calculated by dividing the force of the water by the area over which it is exerted. This can be expressed by the equation P = F/A, where P is pressure, F is force, and A is area.

What factors affect water pressure?

There are several factors that can affect water pressure, including the depth of the water, the density and temperature of the water, the elevation and gravity, and the amount of water in a given area.

How does water pressure change with depth?

Water pressure increases with depth due to the weight of the water above. For every 10 meters of depth, water pressure increases by about 1 atmosphere (14.7 psi or 101,325 Pa).

What are some real-world applications of water pressure?

Water pressure is an important concept in plumbing and hydrology, as it determines the flow of water through pipes and channels. It is also used in scuba diving to measure the depth of water, and in weather forecasting to monitor changes in atmospheric pressure.