Calculating Pressure and Flow in a Pipe System

In summary, it would be helpful if someone could walk me through the steps on how to solve this problem.
wsuguitarist
I have no idea how to solve this problem I know bernoulli's equaiton and the equation of continuity, but I don't know how to apply them to this problem...If someone could get me started I would be very appreciative. My final exam is monday and I fear this problem is going to be on the exam... thanks for the help...

Through a pipe of diameter 15.0 cm, water is pumped from the Colorado River up to Grand Conyon Village, on the rim of the canyon. The river is at 564m elevation and the village is at 2096 m... (a)at what minimum pressure must the water be pumped to arrive at the village? (b)If 4500 cubic meters are pumped per day, what is the speed of the water in the pipe? (c) What additional pressure is necessary to deliver this flow?

Physics news on Phys.org
wsuguitarist said:
I have no idea how to solve this problem I know bernoulli's equaiton and the equation of continuity, but I don't know how to apply them to this problem...If someone could get me started I would be very appreciative. My final exam is monday and I fear this problem is going to be on the exam... thanks for the help...

Through a pipe of diameter 15.0 cm, water is pumped from the Colorado River up to Grand Conyon Village, on the rim of the canyon. The river is at 564m elevation and the village is at 2096 m... (a)at what minimum pressure must the water be pumped to arrive at the village? (b)If 4500 cubic meters are pumped per day, what is the speed of the water in the pipe? (c) What additional pressure is necessary to deliver this flow?
SOLUTION HINTS:
{River Elevation} = HA = (564 m)
{Village Elevation} = HB = (2096 m)
{Area of Pipe} = A =(π/4){Diameter}2 = (π/4){0.15 m}2 = (0.017671 m^2)
{Flow Velocity} = v
{Volume Flow Rate} = V = A*v = (4500 m^3/day) = (0.05208 m^3/sec)
{Water Density} = ρ = (1 gram/cm^3) = (1000 kg/m^3)

The basic equation relating conditions at Point A (River) and Point B (Village) is:
PA + (1/2)*ρ*(vA)2 + ρ*g*HA = PB + (1/2)*ρ*(vB)2 + ρ*g*HB

For your information, the continuity equation is usually required when the pipe crossection Area changes. Since the pipe Area doesn't change in this problem, the continuity equation is not used. If the pipe Area changed from point "1" to point "2", this equation would state:
ρ*A1*v1 = ρ*A2*v2 ::: <---- not needed for this prob since A never changes

a) Considering only change in elevation, the minimum gauge pressure required to deliver water from "A" to "B" is:
{Minimum Gauge Pressure} = PA - PB =
= ρ*g*HB - ρ*g*HA =
= (ρ*g)*(HB - HA) =
={(1000 kg/m^3)*(9.81 m/sec^2)}{(2096 m) - (564 m)} =
= (1.50289e(+7) N/m^2)

b) From the definition and given value of Volume Flow Rate:
{Volume Flow Rate} = V = A*v
::: ⇒ v = V/A
= (0.05208 m^3/sec)/(0.017671 m^2)
= (2.947 m/sec)

c) The ADDITIONAL gauge pressure needed to attain flow velocity "v" determined in "b)" above is given by:
{Additional Gauge Pressure} = PA - PB =
= (1/2)*ρ*(vB)2 - (1/2)*ρ*(vA)2 =
= (1/2)*ρ*{(vB)2 - (vA)2} =
= (1/2)*(1000 kg/m^3)*{(2.947 m/sec)2 - 0}
= (4.3424e(+3) N/m^2)

~~

Last edited:
Thank You very much for showing me how to work that problem...maybe you would be willing to take the final for me :smile:

What is a pipe flow problem?

A pipe flow problem refers to the study of fluid flow through a pipe or conduit. This includes the analysis of the velocity, pressure, and volume flow rate of the fluid within the pipe.

What are the common methods used to solve a pipe flow problem?

The most commonly used methods to solve a pipe flow problem include the Darcy-Weisbach equation, the Hazen-Williams equation, and the Manning equation. These methods take into account factors such as pipe size, fluid properties, and roughness to determine the flow characteristics.

What are the key assumptions made when solving a pipe flow problem?

Some key assumptions made when solving a pipe flow problem include: the fluid is incompressible, the flow is steady and fully developed, the pipe is smooth, and there are no external forces acting on the fluid.

How is the friction factor determined in a pipe flow problem?

The friction factor, also known as the Darcy friction factor, is determined by using a Moody chart or by solving the Colebrook-White equation. These methods take into account the Reynolds number and the relative roughness of the pipe to determine the friction factor.

What are the practical applications of solving a pipe flow problem?

Solving a pipe flow problem has many practical applications, such as designing and analyzing water distribution systems, predicting the flow of oil and gas through pipelines, and determining the flow rate and pressure drop in heat exchangers and cooling systems.