Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Water pump in a water cooler

1. Jul 26, 2014 #1
    How does a water pump in a water cooler work?what are its parts .the picture of the water cooler is given in attachments.how to repair it?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 15, 2014 #2
    I'm sorry you are not finding help at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us?

4. Aug 15, 2014 #3
    I think the most common arrangement would be a small centrifugal pump driven by an electric motor.
    If it isn't working, there are a number of possibilities...
    (1) the water in or out is blocked
    (2) the electric motor has failed

It is really a matter of checking the simplest/easy things first (eg is water in? does the motor run?) and then deciding whether to repair or replace.

Cheers,
    Terry

5. Aug 16, 2014 #4

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Is electrical power getting to the pump? Check volts at the switch and on any connector block (carefully). Does it hum when it's supposed to be on?
    It looks fairly elderly to me. Perhaps it has some corrosion inside it. Have you tried eBay for a replacement? If you can find a cheap one and it the present one passes all the tests that have been suggestion then it may not be too upsetting to fork out for a replacement.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook