1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Water pump used in fountains

1. Feb 14, 2008 #1

For the course "System Theory" I'm following, I have to identify systems in every day life and explain some of its properties (input, output, internal variables, internal parameters,...). I thought a fountain was a good idea for such a system. The problem is I don't know what water pumps are typically used in fountains. I've found a list of different "technologies" for pumps but I need to know which one is used for fountains (or any "water-lifting" device).
    I hope someone can help me.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2008 #2
    There are two types of pumps:
    *Centrifugal Pumps (Axial flow pumps, Radial flow pumps and combination off this two)
    *Positive displacement pumps
    You can use both types for the fountains.
  4. Feb 16, 2008 #3
    Fountain pumps

Hi, I am assuming you mean a water feature type fountain? Not a drinking water fountain as one may find in a park or office/factory rest area?

Water feature fountains have one of two types of pumps installed in general. They both operate using the centrifugal principle which is simply a spinning impeller (disk with vanes either open or closed on both sides. The impeller "throws" the fluid from centre of the impeller throat to the outside diameter, this centrifugal force and the resultant flow/pressure generated will determine the power required by the pump to achieve your desired result in terms of flow and head. Our site us currently building but if you go to the front page and navigate to where it says how to select a pump, I think we have soe useful information there. As I said the site is building so we will be adding information as we grow it. Your comments will be greatly appreciated so we can generate quality content.

For a fountain one would use either a submersible pump for a simple feature, or a self priming or dry well type installation for a pond or feature that has fish and other aquatic life. The reason you would not use a submersible in a feature with live organisms is because the submersible will generally have an oil chamber to lubricate the seals. If a seal pops you will have oil on the water surface which will suffocate all life.

Our site is http://www.pedrollopumps.com should you wish to check it out.

Here is a more defined link http://www.pedrollopumps.com/images/howtoreadapumpcurve.html

I hope this helps you in some way. Please feel free to request further information or ask other questions in this regard.

Evan Lewis
    CEO Pedrollopumps.com
  5. Feb 16, 2008 #4

Science Advisor

I am 99% positive that they will utilize a centrif pump set up. Centrifs will give you more flow for the size than you will get from a P.D. However, with centrifs, you have to be careful to match your pump to your particular system head requirements. In cases like this, the system demands and requirements will usually never change. P.D.s allow you more flexibility in that regard and can deliver higher pressures. It's always a trade off.
  6. Feb 16, 2008 #5
    Thanks a lot for all your replies! I looked up some info about centrifugal pumps and it definitely helped me with my homework assignement. Thanks a lot guys!
  7. Feb 17, 2008 #6
    NO Problem Hope the info helped

Hope you have found enough info.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?