1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Water pumps

1. Sep 14, 2015 #1
    I read in the Britannica Encyclopedia yesterday that Rene Descartes rejected the idea that a water pump works because nature abhors a vacuum, and instead said that it works "by the weight of the water which counterbalances that of the air". I have an idea of the two contrary concepts opposed here, but its still a little fuzzy. Can someone help me understand what was at stake in those early discussions about classical physics and the water pump?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2015 #2

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think that Descartes just didn't understand physics.

4. Sep 16, 2015 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

It is tough to translate philosophy to physics, but this sounds a bit like the "debate" between gauge and absolute pressure. A person who doesn't know the difference might not recognize that there is a limit to the value of negative gauge pressure (equal in absolute value to atmospheric pressure) and that absolute pressure can't go negative.

5. Sep 16, 2015 #4

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This argument possibly refers to a draw pump . That is a type of pump which has a vertical axis piston and cylinder arrangement with simple valves as used to draw water by hand from deep wells and bore holes . In use pump first draws a vacuum in the riser pipe and atmospheric pressure acting on water below ground then forces a column of water up into the pump body and ultimately out into a receiver (bucket) .

There is a limit to the depth which such a pump can raise water from . Simplistically limiting depth is equal to the height of a column of water which gives a static pressure at bottom of riser pipe equal to atmospheric pressure . That is about 32 ft . Practical limit is a bit less .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook