1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Water Quality Index equation and math help

1. Mar 25, 2009 #1
    Water Quality Index equation and math help!!!

Hi there,

I am an arts student who, due to signing up for classes very late in the semester, has been stuck with an environmental sciences course. This course was just fine until I got our final assignment, which is a Water Quality Index lab. The math in it is just plain scary. Not only do I not have the background to do this, but I have not done any form of mathematics since I was 17 and in highschool. I have posted the equation and data given to me in class. Can anyone help me? (the assignment is due tomorrow).

This is the equation we were given:

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs031.snc1/2588_78647385785_530460785_2906212_1687336_n.jpg [Broken]

Where:

SVi is Sensitivity Value of the ith taxon
    Xi is the density of the ith taxon
    n is the number of taxa in the sample
    1n is the natural logarithm
    e is the number 2.718

Values:

Quantitative sample: (two Surber samples combined) (first listed is # in samples, second is sensitivity)

Eph., 43, 3
    Hep., 25, 3
    Per., 3, 4
    Perlo, 5, 4
    Cap, 1, 4
    Cor, 6, 2
    Tip, 16, 2
    Emp, 3, 2
    Chir, 80, 2
    Hyd, 38, 3
    Rhy, 1, 4
    Pol, 2, 2
    Lim, 1, 2

Quantitative sample: (two Surber samples combined) (first #= number in samples, second = sensitivity) (I think this was the one that we actually collected in the lab)

Eph 43, 3
    Per, 3, 4
    Cor, 6, 2
    Tip, 14, 2
    Emp, 3, 2
    Hyd, 26, 3
    Rhy, 1, 4

Does anyone have any idea what these numbers mean (god I feel like I am on Lost or something)? If not, anyone know where I could possibly find people who do?

Thanks a lot guys.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?