Water recombination catalyst

In summary, Astronuc is looking for a catalyst to slow down the bubble formation process in electroosmotic pumps. He has been unsuccessful in finding a suitable catalyst and is asking for advice. He is trying to operate under high temperatures, but is wondering if there is any other parameter he can optimize. He is also wondering if something organic, like one of the steps in the Krebs cycle would work.
frenchero
Hello everybody!

I am working on bubble formation issue in electroosmotic pumps. Those bubble are formed by water electrolysis on platinium electrode and I am searching for catalyst for water recombination compatible with biological applications to at least slow down the bubble formation process.

Would anyone have an idea or a publication that xould help me? I have been looking for some but didn't find just chemical solutions.

Thank you very much.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Has anyone figured out an answer to this question in the last couple years? I am trying to do exactly the same thing as the last post.

Water recombination? or recombination of H2 and O2 to form water?

If the latter, noble metals such as Pt or Rh are used to recombine free oxygen with free hydrogen. It's not clear that this is suitable for biological applications though.

recombination of H2 and O2 to form water. I am not quite concerned about the biocompatibilty.

I am currently patterning the planar platinum catalyst/electrodes via e-beam deposition on a SiO2 wafer. The electrodes are 1mm wide and separated by about 25 microns. I have not been able to observe recombination when applying 10V. I would greatly appreciate any advice on the optimizing the parameters, in terms of the structure of the Pt catalyst (more surface area =>wider or use Pt black??), current density, and the structure of the electrodes.

At what temperature?

Soluble noble metals are effective in high temperature water. I suspect for biological applications and other applications, the temperatures are much lower.

Room temperature, say 25C, excluding joule heating effects from the applied voltage. What temperatures are typically used?

The method with which I'm most familiar is employed at 215 to 285°C.

However, there maybe some modifications or other catalysts for lower temperature.

Thanks Astronuc. Could you please point to any references which I can look up on that? Unfortunately, there is no way I can operate under such high temperatures. Is there any other parameter I could optimize?

electroflow said:
Thanks Astronuc. Could you please point to any references which I can look up on that? Unfortunately, there is no way I can operate under such high temperatures. Is there any other parameter I could optimize?
In the nuclear industry, noble metal injection was used to reduce the amount of hydrogen overpressure, which was an earlier strategy. I think the problem is that recombination efficiency decreases with temperature.

I'll look into my e-library, but possibly doping Pt/Rh with Au (or Ag) might work.

I'm also wondering if something organic, like one of the steps in the Krebs cycle would work.

1. What is a water recombination catalyst?

A water recombination catalyst is a substance that promotes the recombination of hydrogen and oxygen molecules in a closed system, such as a fuel cell or battery, to produce water. This process is important in preventing the buildup of explosive gases and maintaining the efficiency of the system.

2. How does a water recombination catalyst work?

A water recombination catalyst works by lowering the activation energy required for the reaction between hydrogen and oxygen molecules to produce water. This allows the reaction to occur more quickly and efficiently, preventing the buildup of explosive gases and maintaining the stability of the system.

3. What are the benefits of using a water recombination catalyst?

The use of a water recombination catalyst has several benefits. It helps to prevent the buildup of explosive gases, making the system safer to operate. It also helps to maintain the efficiency of the system by promoting the recombination of hydrogen and oxygen molecules, which can improve the overall performance and lifespan of the system.

4. What types of materials are used in water recombination catalysts?

Water recombination catalysts can be made from a variety of materials, including platinum, palladium, nickel, and manganese oxides. These materials are chosen for their ability to lower the activation energy of the reaction between hydrogen and oxygen, as well as their stability and compatibility with the system in which they are used.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to using a water recombination catalyst?

While the use of a water recombination catalyst has many benefits, there are some potential drawbacks to consider. These include the cost of the catalyst material, the potential for reduced performance in extreme temperatures, and the possibility of catalyst poisoning from contaminants in the system. However, these potential drawbacks can be mitigated through careful selection of materials and regular maintenance of the system.